Customer Service 866.965.0400

What would you use to clean this?

LaserBlueSilverado

Question

I have a diesel garden tractor I use around my property, and it has a very expensive special edition seat on it. I am trying to figure out what to clean it with. It is a pretty thick material, I am guessing it is vinyl.

The only issue with it is that it tends to pull dirt off of clothes and hold onto it. Sorry, it's the best photo I have.

Any suggestions?

post-10790-0-90635600-1390366090_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

try scrubbing it with Adam's Leather and Interior cleaner and boar's hair brush, and finish it off with the conditioner.

start with a diluted down portion of the cleaner w/ distilled water. i use a 50/50 mixture on my katskin leather in my truck.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

It has been over 10 years since I have been on one of those types of JD seats but you should be able to use basic mild soap and water. If that that didn't work than the suggestion that Ryan gave would be my next level of intensity.

As I recall the seats have a slight roughness to make them non-slip, JD doesn't want the liability of people slipping off the seat and getting injured. But that non-slip surface not only grips the operator but also grips dirt. The leather conditioner may help make subsequent cleaning easier but the nature of the seat surface design and it's operating environment will pose a constant challenge to keeping it clean.

Be sure to post before and after pics, always fun to see something different being detailed. :-)

Edited by DaveVY

Chester, I have an X585 with the identical seat.  When it was new, the blue color from my denim jeans transferred onto the seat and would not remove.  Period.  The dealer went as far as suggesting Berkebile Gum Cutter 2+2, and choke and carb cleaner.  Nothing worked.  Not sure what that material is, but it definitely appeared to absorb the blue color and was not removable in the end.

Thanks guys!

I am going to try the Leather and Interior cleaner first, then move onto All Purpose Cleaner if that fails.

paoutdoorsman - That seat better hold up for how much it's worth!! I am sure you love your machine, buying this thing has been the best purchase I have ever made to date!

paoutdoorsman - That seat better hold up for how much it's worth!! I am sure you love your machine, buying this thing has been the best purchase I have ever made to date!

I've said the exact same thing so many times.  Such a handy tool to have.  Mine is currently rocking the 47" snowblower which is a lifesaver for me when winter is actually like winter.

I did unbolt the armrests from mine since I usually found them getting in the way.

earlysnow2011.jpg

I've said the exact same thing so many times.  Such a handy tool to have.  Mine is currently rocking the 47" snowblower which is a lifesaver for me when winter is actually like winter.

I did unbolt the armrests from mine since I usually found them getting in the way.

earlysnow2011.jpg

Can I come over to play?  That's awesome!

My dad has got one quite similar... I think his is an early 2000's though, 425 with all wheel steer. Spec's on yours?

Matt, mine is a 2006 X585 Special Edition.  25HP liquid cooled v-twin Kawasaki, hydrostatic, and selectable 4x4.  I considered all wheel steer, but two things kept me from it.  I could not add the front end loader attachment, and I'm OCD with the stripe on my lawn and figured I'd never keep it as straight with all wheel steer.

Another tip, try the leather and interior cleaner like mentioned, but they scrubbing it with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. I find that works wonders on mg leather seats and armrests that get grubby. Step up to the APC if the Leather cleaner isn't cutting it.

Yeah, when he bought his he was contemplating between AWS and the bucket, but we have way more trees than we do reasons to need a bucket, so that made the decision! Ha - and really, it's not nearly as squirrelly as you think it'd be, he can still lay a nice straight mowing line.

Good looking mower!