Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Re-dying/Repair?

Chewy

Question

Have any of you done this before?  I bought a kit from a company called "Magic Mender" for fixing scratched, torn, and abraded leather.  I'm a perfectionist and my GXP wheel has a very slightly worn spot on it that is driving me nuts.  Soooo...  I bought this kit I thought I'd try as it looks like it's pretty simple and if I don't have to spend 400+ dollars to replace the wheel, then I'll be happy. 

So, any of you tried this? Mine is just abraded so the color (black) is missing slightly in one spot. It's NO WHERE near like the below video, but it's pretty impressive looking stuff IMO. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ct539baFM 

17 answers to this question

i don't have that exact experience but a few weeks ago we had a guy come to our house to patch a wear hole in our high quality leather couch.  He patched the hole and color matched the area.  It looked great.  But he warned that it won't hold because its in a wear spot.  He was right, its starting to slightly peel where the leather bondo type stuff meets the leather.  He said we need to replace that piece on the cushion and then re stain the entire couch to match.  Other cushions need the the stain too.  But the area around it that the stain was blended to looks very nice, so you may be able to stain that spot on your wheel.  I be you'd need to sand it lightly so it can soak in the color better but I'm no expert.  Disclaimer, I did not stay in a holiday inn express last night.  Maybe this is some help to you, probably not, but I already typed it out so I'm posting it! Good luck

Yeah, I'll hit the spot with some 2000 grit to make sure it's ready to accept the latex dye.  I bought a satin clear from them to put on after which I'm hoping will keep the wheel looking good for years to come.

I can see where a wear spot wouldn't hold though.  It's so thin around the area that there probably wasn't much for the product to hold on to. 

Chris

The nearest one comes up Utah.  I'm in Iowa!  lol  

My idea is, I was going to buy a new wheel anyway, so if I screw this up royally or it doesn't last, I'll do just that and buy a new one.  

So I was browsing some info on a local detail company, and they posted some pictures of what they called leather repair and re dye. I've never seen anything like this, and I cannot find any info on how they did it. They how ever would not give up their secret and I refuse to pay someone else to detail my car. Does any one have any info on what they could have done? I've included the 2 pictures they posted as well.

post-4548-0-05550300-1391630088_thumb.jpg

post-4548-0-87181600-1391630095_thumb.jpg

So I was browsing some info on a local detail company, and they posted some pictures of what they called leather repair and re dye. I've never seen anything like this, and I cannot find any info on how they did it. They how ever would not give up their secret and I refuse to pay someone else to detail my car. Does any one have any info on what they could have done? I've included the 2 pictures they posted as well.

They sand down the cracked area, apply a flexible color matched putty then shoot it with a heat gun to cure.

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

I do this type of work for a company called Creative Colors International, in a nut shell, we fill the scratches with a leather filler that is sanded smooth and redyed to match, I do work for a few detail shops in my area, they offer the service and I come in and do the work, they take the credit for it. Probably what most detail shops do, as it would be a big expense for them to purchase the equipment to do it themselves

Chewy, have you looked into just getting the wheel recovered? Shouldn't run you $400+ unless maybe you upgrade to some premium leather. If you're able to take the wheel off yourself and just bring that in, you'd save even more money.

Chewy, have you looked into just getting the wheel recovered? Shouldn't run you $400+ unless maybe you upgrade to some premium leather. If you're able to take the wheel off yourself and just bring that in, you'd save even more money.

No, and I'm not against doing that.  My wheel has 2 different textures of leather on it and a strange wheel design.  I'm sure there are people out there that could do the job.  I'd honestly just buy a new one and sell the old one for half the cost.  The GXP wheel is pretty sought after due to its design.  

I still need to get out in the garage and do this.  I have yet to get a nice enough day to crank the heat up and have at it. 

Chris

OK, I got the steering wheel dyed and sealed yesterday. I still need to condition the rest of it, but the end result MORE than impressed me!

You can see I taped off the lower part of the wheel and dyed just the top.

post-19-0-01390700-1395007541_thumb.jpg

It came out great.  Did you end up using the kit in the video that you posted?

Yes and did it JUST how they explained to.  I cleaned the wheel with APC, then IPA, and then sanded and recleaned with IPA and then cleaned again with IPA and then smeared some dye on, dried it with a mini electric heater, then dabbed on the next 2 color coats, and then dabbed on two clear semi-gloss coats for added protection.  

It honestly couldn't get ANY easier!  I think it being black and not having to color match helps, but WOW was it simple. 

Chris