Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is this an acceptable way to wash?

someguy020

Question

So I'm looking for the minimal amount of work to maintain my car. The first time I intend on using rinseless wash-->clay bar--> brief wash --> quick sealant --> wax. I don't intend on using wax on a regular basis, I just want to use it once because I have it just laying around.

My plan is to use rinseless wash most of the time, and when the quick sealant begins to wear off to just applying another coating of quick sealant on top of that. That way I'll just have to apply some quick sealant maybe 2-3 times a year. And maybe clay bar once a year.

Is this an acceptable approach? If I wax the car, do I have to do anything special to the car in another 4-6 months when I reapply the quick sealant, or can I assume the wax has probably all disappeared by that point?

7 answers to this question

Nothing beats a good two bucket wash with Adams shampoo followed up with some detail spray while you dry with a Adams dry towel or blower.

Waterless car wash is great for a quick wipe down on lightly soiled properly detailed paint but I would not use it on a dirty mud caked, grimey road soiled car......... Works great for removing bugs too.

Your maintenance plan should work fine.  I would suggest one addition - an IPA wipedown before you reapply the QS.  Sealants work best when applied to bare paint.  Mix up a 50/50 solution of water and 70% isopropyl alcohol and spray that on the panels after you clay.   

What do you mean by a brief wash?

I was just going to just do another rinseless wash.

Nothing beats a good two bucket wash with Adams shampoo followed up with some detail spray while you dry with a Adams dry towel or blower.

Waterless car wash is great for a quick wipe down on lightly soiled properly detailed paint but I would not use it on a dirty mud caked, grimey road soiled car......... Works great for removing bugs too.

Well, my car usually isn't too dirty. I looked at the pictures of other vehicles that used rinseless wash, and my car looks pretty similar. If it's really dirty, I could always take it to a touchless car wash. Probably the rain where I live washes away some of the dirt :)

Your maintenance plan should work fine.  I would suggest one addition - an IPA wipedown before you reapply the QS.  Sealants work best when applied to bare paint.  Mix up a 50/50 solution of water and 70% isopropyl alcohol and spray that on the panels after you clay.   

Thanks for the advice!

:lurk: :lurk:

?? not a good question to ask? I don't know too much about detailing, other then what I've been reading in the threads.

Your process is sound. For routine cleaning you may be able to skip the clay. Test the headlights and read lights with a baggy on your hand to see if it is actually needed. The front nose and rear may need clay more often. But for routine cleaning you can use a Rinseless Wash but as said, a 2-bucket wash is best.