Customer Service 866.965.0400

Just a friendly but STERN reminder..

JHL88

Question

Make sure to rid your vehicles of road salt & Mag. Chloride if you live in those parts of the country with ice/snow.  

I left it on my truck for 3-4 weeks because I was lazy and it ate right through my factory coating on my frame under my wheel wells.  I had to spend 2 hours spraying rust reformer and spraying down several layers of underbody coating.  Don't make the same mistake I made.

Even if it means just rinsing your car off with water or foaming your car up, please do it!!

The coating literally came off by the pieces hanging off on the frame.... with rust underneath...

Edited by JHL88

22 answers to this question

The salt is so bad right now in Virginia and having a Tacoma, albeit new, raises frame rot concerns.  I have already noticed some spot rusting on the leaf spring clamps that I need to address immediately.  It snowed a week ago, but the salt is still so bad it kicks up huge salt clouds when people drive down the road.  Crazy, can't wait for a good rain to wash it all away.

The salt is so bad right now in Virginia and having a Tacoma, albeit new, raises frame rot concerns.  I have already noticed some spot rusting on the leaf spring clamps that I need to address immediately.  It snowed a week ago, but the salt is still so bad it kicks up huge salt clouds when people drive down the road.  Crazy, can't wait for a good rain to wash it all away.

Throw some Fluid Film on your springs.  I did and there is no issues at all with rust.  Did the rear differential as well.  If you want me to post up some pics let me know.

how can you tell whats being used?  Lately our town has been using a dark brown sticky liquid that smells funky on our roads.  

Probably a brine mix.

We get mostly cinders here, but yeah we get salt too because my garage floor is white from it.  Only thing is.........it's too freakin cold to spray anything!  Supposed to be near 40 by the weekend, so hopefully I'll get to it.

Throw some Fluid Film on your springs.  I did and there is no issues at all with rust.  Did the rear differential as well.  If you want me to post up some pics let me know.

Probably a brine mix.

I totally plan on coating the frame and underside in fluid film.  From everything I read its best to coat it in the spring.  When did you do yours?

I totally plan on coating the frame and underside in fluid film.  From everything I read its best to coat it in the spring.  When did you do yours?

October.  Not sure why it would be recommended to do it in the spring.  I would think doing it just before the winter months which are harder on your undercarriage would be most beneficial.

October.  Not sure why it would be recommended to do it in the spring.  I would think doing it just before the winter months which are harder on your undercarriage would be most beneficial.

I concur with that, Fall would seem most logical.

That looks darn good.  I don't even think its something that I can contemplate, I think it HAS to happen.  Tacoma's are just too notorious for frame rot to not do it.  Some of the pictures the Tacoma guys post over on TacomaWorld of their 05-06's of their frames is just mind boggling.  Nearly 4-5 inch holes in their frames and near critical joints and suspension areas.

One guys example of his 2005 (photo credit to Mac on TW)

IMG_28872.JPG

Where did you get your fluid film from?  I believe I read its available at Advanced Auto now.

Edited by chas

Where did you get your fluid film from?  I believe I read its available at Advanced Auto now.

I ordered it off of Amazon.  There are a lot of different options.  I just ordered a case of the aerosol cans.  I didn't do my frame as it has a waxy substance all over it.  

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fluid+film&sprefix=fluid+film%2Caps%2C295

This is what I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-11-75-Spray-Cans/dp/B004ND646O/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1391001951&sr=8-10&keywords=fluid+film

That looks darn good.  I don't even think its something that I can contemplate, I think it HAS to happen.  Tacoma's are just too notorious for frame rot to not do it.  Some of the pictures the Tacoma guys post over on TacomaWorld of their 05-06's of their frames is just mind boggling.  Nearly 4-5 inch holes in their frames and near critical joints and suspension areas.

One guys example of his 2005 (photo credit to Mac on TW)

IMG_28872.JPG

For something so new this is insane! The old pickups don't even have this much of an issue! That will turn into a serious safety issue really quick

I ordered it off of Amazon.  There are a lot of different options.  I just ordered a case of the aerosol cans.  I didn't do my frame as it has a waxy substance all over it.  

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fluid+film&sprefix=fluid+film%2Caps%2C295

This is what I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-11-75-Spray-Cans/dp/B004ND646O/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1391001951&sr=8-10&keywords=fluid+film

How easy is it to clean off if say I use it to spray my coilovers with in the winter so the threads don't rust? Then spring time I clean it all off for show season. Think just a bit of APC could handle it?