Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buttery Wax only?

shrktank

Question

Hello

New here and my new hobby for the year is to maintain the new cars my wife and I just purchased.

I ordered the Buttery Wax and have a question.

]

Is this wax good enough to not have to use the more expensive waxes? These are not show cars and main concern is look and protection

16 answers to this question

Yes, even though there are other waxes that cost more, Buttery is still a premium wax compared to your typical off the shelf stuff.

Even though your cars are new, it is still recommended to clay them before polishing or waxing. You may be surprised at the contaminants on something fresh off the lot.

Edited by Redbeard

Buttery is very underappreciated, it is a great wax and though it doesn't have the longevity of Americana it is much more forgiving in the application. 2-4 months is what I've gotten out of it, depending on weather.

I second the suggestion of claying first. I got a new Explorer at the beginning of the year and it needed clayed and a few spots of correction from the shipping wraps being drug across the paint during removal.

I've always used (and still use) Buttery Wax.  But the Americana is the best for long lasting.  Use the Buttery Wax.  And if you want added shine, top it off with some Brilliant Spray Glaze.

Hello

New here and my new hobby for the year is to maintain the new cars my wife and I just purchased.

I ordered the Buttery Wax and have a question.

]

Is this wax good enough to not have to use the more expensive waxes? These are not show cars and main concern is look and protection

Is this wax good enough to not have to use the more expensive waxes? Yes, of course it is.  You'd be hard pressed to find anyone, on a properly polished out car, that can tell what wax was used as the LSP.  Maybe, maybe, maybe on black.  Buttery is my favorite wax by far...application is fun, it smells good, easy to remove, cheap...longevity, well I really never give it a chance to wear off as I always find myself applying it whenever I feel like it anyway, which is pretty often (although not lately, been extremly busy).

What color vehicles do you have? 

This is my first post, been lurking and learning but instead of started a new thread, could I ask a similiar additional question being that is almost the same as shrktank. I have a brand new 2014 Mustang that is Ruby Red Metalic, we have had the car less than a week now. I have ordered Rinseless wash and Detailer's Spray to keep it clean on the outside. It will be mostly garaged, but living in California in the Central Valley, when it is outside, it will be  pretty hot in the summer. If I clay it with Detaliler's Spray, could I get by with just a coat of Buttery Wax? Or would I need the liquid paint sealant first, then Buttery Wax or Americana or could I just keep it simple and go with the Clay followed by Buttery Wax? Thanks and I hope I did not cause any problems jumping into someone's thread and asking questions. 

Welcome Jim

You went with the right combo of RW and DS to keep your (mostly) garaged car clean. As far as waxing/sealing, you have many different options depending on how often you wish to wax, and how long the car will be outside. Personally I'd recommend either LPS or QS as the base coat of protection for any car that will be exposed to the elements for extended periods of time. Sealants can withstand the high temperatures much better than a wax will. A coat of either sealant will last 4-6 months, whereas BW can last about 4 weeks, and Americana about 2 months. I compared the pros and cons of the two waxes in this post.

Keep in mind, claying will remove wax/sealant, so while it is a good idea to clay before you wax/seal, it isn't something you should do every time.

Thanks GerryC for the help. I have a question on the sealant. If I were to lay a base of Liquid Paint Sealant down first which you say would last around 4-6 months, maybe then Brillant Glaze and then a layer of either Buttery Wax (4weeks) or Americana (2months); when it comes time to apply another coat of wax in a month or two, could it be applied on top of the sealant that was first applied or would it have to also be redone at that time as well? Was not quite sure if wax build up would occur or if it would be okay to just apply another coat of wax. I had also seen somewhere that people said the Brilliant Glaze should be used in between. Thanks again. 

There would be no problem with adding another coat of wax after a month or two.  You shouldn't need to add any more sealant until your next strip wash.

I wouldn't worry about wax build-up unless you're going to wax every week or so.  Every few months won't be a problem at all.

Most of us strip wash, polish, seal, glaze and wax twice a year.  In between those "full-monte" sessions we use just glaze and wax.

Putting a little glaze on top of everything is a quick way to add some "pop" if you want your car to look it's best for a short time.  It won't last more than a day or two.  It's great for a "car show prep".