Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint on leather seat?

crowvet

Question

Hello, as some of you know I hit a deer on New years day. I got my car back from the body shop last night. First let me say the paint match is very good.. But how can they destroy the rest of my paint so bad. It has scratches all over like a drive thru car was does. It has clear coat over spray in numerous places and scuffs and marring,over spray under the hood ect. Although disappointed, I can correct all these problems... The worst is gray paint smeared on my drivers seat from the pin stripping... I have tried alcohol to get it off, but it doesn't faze it. I am afraid anything stronger will remove the black from my seat. Anyone had this problem? I guess I should take it back and let them try. Then they can replace the seat if they mess it up. I have had this car six years, and in 5 days they caused more damage than I have in that 6 years I have owned it. Any ideas on the paint smears? Funny how I can be pleased with the repair, but so disappointed with what happened to the rest of the car.

4 answers to this question

First off........you should NEVER have accepted it in its current state. They should have had it right the  first time. But it is what it is.

As for the paint on the seat, get a rag and some paint thinner.  Put some on the rag and wipe over the spots of paint (try it on an unnoticable area first to test for color fastness of your leather).  It should take the paint off. And once you have it off, be sure to use Adam's Leather Conditioner on the spots and the whole seat.  If you notice that the conditioner is leaving a dry area on the spots you treated with the paint thinner it simply means that it's soaking up the conditioner more than the rest of the seat. Keep applying till you have a uniform finish.  Glad that your seats are leather and not cloth. 

Let us know how it works out.

Yes Rich, I know.. I picked the car up at 5.45pm... It was almost dark. The car looked great when they pulled it around. We needed the car for the weekend, and I hoped in and left. It was only after I got it home in my shop that I realized it's true condition. 

Have you tried the leather cleaner?

We had a Toyota 4Runner that had house paint on the leather steering wheel for 2 or 3 years. Tried various things to clean it and it wasn't coming off so I gave up and just accepted it.

Then I found Adams and after trying the exterior products finally used the interior products. The leather cleaner full strength softened the paint and two cleanings removed it all! Love that stuff!

Let us know what works for you.

HEY DAVE............... That worked :D Thanks, I wouldn't have believed it would be strong enough. After about four soakings and about 10 minutes of scrubbing with a microfiber I was able to remove it all. Left it somewhat dull, but a heavy dose of leather conditioner fixed that :banana:  :burnout: Happy, happy happy.... A good paint correcting session and I will be good as new