Customer Service 866.965.0400

Nostalgia for 40 year olds

Marylander

I was just thinking of some things that I'm sure well someday have to explain to the next generation. Add yours to this thread!

Fixing something on the car without first looking for a how-to on the internet. Remember when the first thing you bought after getting your used car was a Chilton or Haynes manual?

Carrying a dime with you at all times in case you needed to make a phone call.

Seeing the National Anthem and flag come on the tv around midnight when the stations signed off. And there were just 3 channels for most of us.

Being careful to make the right choice between leaded and unleaded gas when filling up the car.

Checking the coolant, oil and tires before heading out on a trip of 100 miles or more.

Riding in the car without wearing a seatbelt.

Haha.  I find this funny.  I was delivering to an elementary school one day and the secretary was typing on a typewriter.  I jokingly said "what is that?".  She laughed, and said she gets asked that all the time by students.  She then proceeds to tell me about how when kids come to the office to call home, they ask "where is the send/talk button?"  She tells them to just be patient that it will work.  Remember the old rotary phones?  Those ones where if you didn't turn the dial all the way to the end it would dial another number instead of the one you intended to use.

I still buy a manual.  Although it is usually the factory manual.  I remember the gas thing clearly.  Unleaded and leaded.  

8 tracks and record players another thing.  Remember the old 45's?  And as a kid you probably had one of those cheap ones that were like a box.  I remember when cell phones come out and they were like a brick.  A car phone was corded and had a box in your car that the phone ran through.  

Funny when the stations signed off and if you fell asleep while watching TV and woke up it would be just a bunch of black and white fuzz, or those color bars.

Edited by LFairbanks

I remember riding cross country laying on the package shelf in the back of our Pontiac. Also going on vacation in the Volvo station wagon with the seats folded flat and all five of us kids laying down and sleeping as Mom and Dad drove through the night.

How about free air at the gas station?

I remember going to school with either our bow/arrows for archery class or shotgun for trap shooting club. We just put them in our locker until it was time to use them and surprisingly we used them for their intended purposes only.

I passed newspapers from 13 to 16 years of age.

My mom had a rotary dial phone until just a few years ago when the phone company told her she had to change to touch tone.

Love this thread!

Remember the $.10 deposit on the 16oz glass coke bottles? As a young teen I would ride my bike around town and look for discarded bottles on the side of the road and would then return them to get some money. Would then take that money and buy items and take them to school to sell for a markup. This was the late 70s and early 80s and usually had $20-$40 in my pocket that had originally started as money "found on the side of the road". Saved hundreds of dollars and spent some too, based on these deposit bottles.

I remember when car engines were simple...climbing into the engine bay and sitting on a wheel well while pulling spark plugs, replacing a distributor cap or an alternator.

I remember life before cell phones and the dangers child abductions, would take off and play with my friends for hours in the woods and just had to be home in time for dinner.

Edited by DaveVY

Love this thread!

Remember the $.10 deposit on the 16oz glass coke bottles? As a young teen I would ride my bike around town and look for discarded bottles on the side of the road and would then return them to get some money. Would then take that money and buy items and take them to school to sell for a markup. This was the late 70s and early 80s and usually had $20-$40 in my pocket that had originally started as money "found on the side of the road". Saved hundreds of dollars and spent some too, based on these deposit bottles.

I remember when car engines were simple...climbing into the engine bay and sitting on a wheel well while pulling spark plugs, replacing a distributor cap or an alternator.

I remember life before cell phones and the dangers child abductions, would take off and play with my friends for hours in the woods and just had to be home in time for dinner.

Those bottles came in an 8 pack…lol. 

Haha.  I find this funny.  I was delivering to an elementary school one day and the secretary was typing on a typewriter.  I jokingly said "what is that?".  She laughed, and said she gets asked that all the time by students.  She then proceeds to tell me about how when kids come to the office to call home, they ask "where is the send/talk button?"  She tells them to just be patient that it will work.  Remember the old rotary phones?  Those ones where if you didn't turn the dial all the way to the end it would dial another number instead of the one you intended to use.

I still buy a manual.  Although it is usually the factory manual.  I remember the gas thing clearly.  Unleaded and leaded.  

8 tracks and record players another thing.  Remember the old 45's?  And as a kid you probably had one of those cheap ones that were like a box.  I remember when cell phones come out and they were like a brick.  A car phone was corded and had a box in your car that the phone ran through.  

Funny when the stations signed off and if you fell asleep while watching TV and woke up it would be just a bunch of black and white fuzz, or those color bars.

8 tracks, 45s, LPs, cassette tape, CDs, VHS/Beta wars, Colecovision, Atari, 110 film cameras, 126 film cameras, 35mm cameras... It is amazing to see how much technology has changed in 25 years.

How about not needing your friends opinion on your life! You were actually able to think for yourself and you didn't care what other people thought, you didn't post pics of your kids to make yourself feel better!!

Just I case your wondering, I don't belong to any social media!

That might be a little harsh on my part, I'm still angry about that Coke commercial in Spanish!

Edited by BrianT

Thrifty Drug Store single scoop ice cream used to be a nickle, for a really long time. Last week my wife and I were in a Thrifty, waiting for a prescription, I said "Let's grab an ice cream." You should have heard me, "A dollar Seventy nine!"

Holy smokes, when did that happen? Of course everyone in line looked at me like I was a crazy old codger who hadn't been out of the rest home in twenty years.

Ouch.

Bruce

Speaking of cameras... I remember when Kodak came out with that line of "disc" cameras and they were going to be the thing to replace 110s. And heck now... When was the last time you even bought film? Remember when you'd go to a national park or tourist attraction and they would always have that big wall of cubes, usually on a 45 degree angle, with all the different types of film for sale? Fuji, Kodak, ISO 100, 200, 400, etc? And at home you'd have a drawer full of those plastic 35mm film cans?

How about this one Rich.  When you went into a restaurant and they would ask you smoking or non….lol.  I don't really remember the airplane smoking.  Didn't fly much as a kid.  Only a couple of times as a toddler, and of course I don't remember them.

Edited by LFairbanks