Customer Service 866.965.0400

Nostalgia for 40 year olds

Marylander

I remember the space shuttle first launch, also remember watching the last challenger launch, that was a very sad day. Was in total shock and disbelief.

I remember sitting in biology class when the teacher next door come in and told us what had happened.  I saved a couple of different newspapers from that incident that I still have to this day.  

Being over 40, I don't recallif anyone mentioned the giant leap forward to... cassette tapes! Those would save the world.

Then there was the entire television experience, laser disc players, and Betamax recorders.

What else has come and gone without an entire generation even knowing about them?

Something that popped into my head today - having two keys for your car!  One for the door and one for the ignition - what a pain!

You have no idea how long it took me to get in and start a car the first time I came across a "2 key" car.

Something that popped into my head today - having two keys for your car!  One for the door and one for the ignition - what a pain!

Wow, forgot about those separate keys.

This next generation growing up now will be those who will look back and remember "when had had metal keys to start a car"!

Wing windows and metal dash, no turn signals or seat belts, wide whitewalls, and or porta walls.

gosh so many.

Remember when dress codes for going to school, No facial hair, no hair below the collar, girls had to wear dresses or skirts, no shorts.

How about the "Miracle on Ice"

195 HP Corvettes thanks to fuel economy concerns and engineers still grappling with emission controls without the benefit of EFI and computer controls.

Mustang II.

Watching gas lines on TV a couple years before I was old enough to get my drivers license. Thinking the fun was over and I missed out. 

Odd/Even days for buying gas.

It's hard to believe how bleak the automotive scene was at one time.

If you would have told me in 1979 that Chevy would be making 600 HP Vettes and 500+ HP Camaros in 2014, I would have thought you needed to be commited. 

195 HP Corvettes thanks to fuel economy concerns and engineers still grappling with emission controls without the benefit of EFI and computer controls.

Mustang II.

Watching gas lines on TV a couple years before I was old enough to get my drivers license. Thinking the fun was over and I missed out. 

Odd/Even days for buying gas.

It's hard to believe how bleak the automotive scene was at one time.

If you would have told me in 1979 that Chevy would be making 600 HP Vettes and 500+ HP Camaros in 2014, I would have thought you needed to be commited.

Heck, I used to have a corvette that was rated at 160 (or maybe it was 165 hp -- i forget). It was a 1975. Still kinda miss that car, though.

Marylander, on 18 Feb 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

Heck, I used to have a corvette that was rated at 160 (or maybe it was 165 hp -- i forget). It was a 1975. Still kinda miss that car, though.

It's at the bottom of a sinkhole in Bowling Green right now isn't it Rich?  :lol:  :lol:

Ummm, I have a 30 year old car that has two keys, no remote, no ABS, no Air Bags, heck, I even have to turn the lights on myself!

I remember when we got our first microwave in the early 80's.

I remember having an extra long cord on the phone in the living room so you could sit anywhere in the room and still talk on the phone.

I remember Grimace, Mayor McCheese, and the Hamburglar.

I remember watching "Captain Kangaroo" on TV.

I remember a guy washing your windows when you pulled up at the gas station (no, I'm not referring to the neighborhood junkie either :lol: ) and he would even pump your gas for you and check your oil and other fluids.

I remember Atari 2600 and Intellivision.

I remember having to get up off the couch to change the channel on the TV, and you did so by turning a knob on the TV

20 years ago if you had told me that everyone would carry a phone in their pockets, that we would have a black president, that "God" would be banned in our schools, and that gay marriage would be commonplace, I would have thought you were completely nuts!