Customer Service 866.965.0400

My New Unwanted Mod

02Xtreme07ss

2 miles after getting on the freeway this morning I received a startling 'wake-up call'. You know the kind, driving along, everything is quiet, and then BANG....

356502CA-A1D7-4EE5-BE68-B3A3BDAD3F2F_zps

Now to locate a Pilkington, PGW, or Toyota OEM windshield because I refuse to use that crap made in China from Safelite. Well, that and I refuse to let Safelite work on any of my vehicles anymore.

Edited by 02Xtreme07ss

OUCH!  

That's exactly what I said when I finally got to work this morning and could see the impact spot. I could see the edges of the crack inside the vehicle, but not the complete extent of the damage. I don't know what it was, but it was solid.

Took me a minute to figure out what I was looking at.  Man, that sucks, but I'm glad it didn't shatter and cut anyone.  Insurance should cover it.

No problem with insurance covering it. The problem is finding a quality shop around here. There are only two things on a vehicle that I can't service myself, glass and tires. I absolutely hate anyone else working on my vehicles.

thats a bucket of suck.. and here I was, upset about the little chip in the Wife's Explorer..

Just broke 10K miles this morning too. I put over 100K on my Xtreme and only once did I have to replace a windshield, and that was somewhere in the 90k-ish range. Now this SUV, I had a something leave a much smaller startburst at the beginning of December and had it 'repaired'. That always bugged me, but I figured I wouldn't have to deal with it again for awhile. Apparently I was wrong. 

CA roadways, especially 101, are so littered with debris that it keeps the windshield guys going strong. I've never seen a state allow the condition of their roadways become so poor before doing anything about it. There is no maintaining here, they just wait until the roadway completely disinegrates and starts swallowing vehicles then just replace them. In the meantime, the front ends and windshields of our cars eat all the debris that gets kicked up.

that sucks!

even driving a good distance behind the car in front of you doesn't avoid these things! knock on wood i don't know how i haven't got one on any of my vehicle living out here in BFE with tons of 18-wheeler traffic on caliche roads! the worst that's happened is a few small rock chips on the hood and a chunk of my chevy emblem was taken out somehow!

Well, that didn't take long. It spread overnight due to the temp change. And it took a hard turn toward the driver's side. Yay!!

photo_zps990172cd.jpg

that sucks!

even driving a good distance behind the car in front of you doesn't avoid these things! knock on wood i don't know how i haven't got one on any of my vehicle living out here in BFE with tons of 18-wheeler traffic on caliche roads! the worst that's happened is a few small rock chips on the hood and a chunk of my chevy emblem was taken out somehow!

It's funny because I'm always aware of what I'm following and how closely I'm following in an attempt to avoid things like this happening. There wasn't even anyone around me when it hit. Which is probably a good thing because the look on my face when it happened was probably priceless.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of those on my last two trucks in the first month of ownership. I lived with it for a while until it spread. I called around and the dealer was able to install an OEM windshield at about the same price as whatever anyone else would have done. And it was less than my insurance deductible.

Too bad it spread. I've had good luck with the glass chip repair kits from autozone. I had a huge one like that on my ST, I used the repair kit and you cant even tell it was ever there. 

My plan B was to have it looked at the following morning, but the temperature change overnight was so great that it caused the cracks to spread. Not to mention at the point of impact, it was actually missing small pieces of the outside layer of glass, so the film layer was exposed. I too have had good luck with the DIY kits for small issues, but this thing was determined to spread. By the afternoon of the day of the replacement, it had spread to within 2" of the top of the windshield.