Customer Service 866.965.0400

Funny story...well not at the time for me

Osok

Question

Last week we had a stretch of two days in the mid 30s.  Seemed like everyone and their brother was out at the coin ops.  Over two days I had checked at varying times 5 different car washes and each time they all had 4-5 cars waiting in line so I was not up for waiting that long.

Day two I ran over to a Sunoco couple miles away to see what their line was like.  All the self washes were lined up but their two auto wash bays only had one car in line.  I said SWEET! my lucky day.  So I pulled around the curve, got up to the machine, put my money in and as I look up from the dash to see what's up with the car in front of me currently being washed...I see it.   This auto wash is one of the dreaded big spinning brush washes.  Now mind you two of the other Sunocos I had been to are both laser wash touchless so it hadn't even crossed my mind.

Here I was...trapped.  Money paid, can't back up nowhere to pull out I'm next in line.  Doors open up and I pull in and start praying (literally..started praying).  The wash goes on for what seems like 20 minutes (I know it was probably 3 minutes tops) and as each minute is passing I'm getting nauseus...how messed up is that.  As panic is taking me over cringing every time those damn spinners go up and back I being talking to myself.....ok..no sweat..you know how to fix any of this damage.  It's ok..it'll be ok you do a spring correction every year anyways...

True story...messed up...I know.   Finally the misery ends and I drive away.  Oddly enough though when I got home and took a walk around I didn't see anything too awful, but I didn't really do a nose close inspection.  I got my head around knowing I was going to correct it come spring anyways so better not to know too much now and have 3 more months to think about it.

I told my wife the story later that night and she just spent the whole time laughing and wishing she had been there to see it. :( 

I know..we all know...it truly is a sickness.

Thanks for listening.

10 answers to this question

Right there with you, buddy. That was me a few weeks ago, standing there next to the truck holding the snow brush over the hood, thinking, "I'm going to be correcting in the Spring anyway. I'll be correcting it in the Spring..." But man it hurts...  :o  :lol:

My wife was a few months pregnant with our first son and we were leaving on a 10 day vacation so I told her to go get the car washed so it wasn't sitting with salt on it the whole time.  She was put off by it and didn't want to do it, but she relented and said "FINE" like any good wife does.  lol J/K.

So she comes home BALLING!  I mean out of control crying...  She did EXACTLY what you did and knew how anal I was about NOT going to the touch wash systems.  

lol, all I could do is laugh.  How can you be mad at someone when they're that upset over it?  Needless to say, she's NEVER done it since. 

Chris

I hear ya dude! I've been waking up extra early to drive 20 miles to the nearest coin op before anyone gets there. Plus it's always annoying when I get the stink eye from the car behind me for bringing out my 2 buckets and caddy filled with Rinseless Wash.

Plus I don't think I fit into any of the drive thru washes anyways.

Glad to hear you survived.

Was it a cloudy or partly cloudy day?  Thats prob why you don't see the fine scratches induced by the auto wash, but trust assured they are there.  They probably sprayed your car with one of those scratch hiding foams at the end, rest assured, you'll see the scratches on a bright sunny day.

It's never that dire to take a shortcut and use the auto wash, I'm telling you.  I'd rather go to Costco and drop $100 for some cheap chinese electric power washer and just spray the **** out of my cars every time they have ridiculous filth then take to an auto wash.