Customer Service 866.965.0400

APC not cleaning gunk off tires?

rains628

Question

I bought new tires a few months ago and all I have ever put on them is VRT. I clean them with adams APC every time I wash the truck but I can not seem to get the old VRT dressing build up on. I do not put excessive amouts of VRT on when I do the tires. Any ideas what I can do to strip the old dressing to get them clean again?  I use full strength APC and adams tire brush. Any help would be great! Thanks

10 answers to this question

It's always a good rule of thumb after you think the tire is clean, to shoot some APC on the sidewall.  IF it isn't the same color as the juice, you know you have some dirt left behind.  I do what Jim above me does, and two or three times a year, clean the tire three times in a row before dressing it.

Before I was introduced to adams, I used to clean my tires with SOS steel wool pads.  Be very careful not to touch the edge of the trim, I usually only got to within 1/2" of the rim.  1 SOS pad will be completely destroyed after 4 tires, maybe 2 especially if you have big truck tires.  But this pretty much strips them right down to bare rubber. 

I bought new BFG's for the G8 last year, and the APC did its job perfectly, 1 application, first time use.

You know what works really well? Taking one or two cheapo throwaway MF towels, after you've already cleaned the tires and wheels and when the tires are dry, spraying APC on the dry tire, and wiping the gunk off with your throwaway MF rag. You'd be amazed at what you'll wipe off a dry tire that's been already cleaned. Toss the MF when done as it will be trashed (which is why I say use a cheapo).

I do this about two to three times a year just to get my tire down to "bare bones" again.

I have to agree with above statements. Every so often I scrub the crap out of my tires 2-3 times before dressing them. Like Adam mentioned, I'd the APC runs down the sidewall after spraying it and its brownish, then you know the tire is still dirty. I use a stuff bristled brush specifically made for scrubbing tires that I bought from the auto parts store. Its curved to align with the curve of the tire. It works great, especially when used with lots of full strength APC.

Also, speaking of "full strength", I usually use a 50/50 mix on the tires and wheels. I only use full stegnth when I notice stubborn brownish buildup that isn't coming off easily.

I also periodically scrub all the textured black plastics on my truck that I dress with SVRT. It makes them look like new again, and helps the SVRT to actually stick or cling better to the plastics, and not have that whitish hazed look.

Edited by ScottyBoy

If these are new tires, what you might be seeing is mold release buildup and not old dressing...

Most new tires come with some advisory that you are not to use dressing products on them for so many miles. Check your tire manufacturer's info. I have personally seen these warnings accompanying tires I have purchased from Hankook, BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Yokohama and Falken. 

Most new tires come with some advisory that you are not to use dressing products on them for so many miles. Check your tire manufacturer's info. I have personally seen these warnings accompanying tires I have purchased from Hankook, BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Yokohama and Falken. 

You can add Dunlop to that list as well