Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to protect fenders when working under the hood?

K5/TBSS

Hey guys. I have a black '06 TBSS, and will be installing headers, plugs & wires, and new stall converter in the next few weeks. The problem is I just finished a paint correction a few weeks ago. How do you guys prevent scratches when working on cars like this? Do you use tons of Adam's tape? Saran wrap? I can't imagine anyone with perfect or near perfect paint uses those "fender" covers you see around... OR, do you just leave it bare and come back and do a correction on just the fenders afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

I use the same stuff the car manufactures use when they ship cars.  It comes in nice wide sheets so you just cut off a piece and stick it on.   It pulls off without leaving any film behind.  It's also what any good shop will use.  You'll see Livernois and TX speed use it.  

You want to use something that isn't going to slide around on the paint.  

post-19-0-76051900-1392400952_thumb.jpg

Good advice above! I'd also suggest wearing sweatpants, NO BUTTONS, BELTS, OR SNAPS!!  This is a mistake you'll only make once...voice of experience.

Did you do that mistake with my truck? Haha

Cuz I did it . Scratched the heck out of it when installing my shift kit. Then I got ATF on my fender. :(

No bueno. Truck is better now though. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go the "tape" route, as it is something I have in house lol. Anybody ever have trouble removing the adhesive from the paint afterwards though?

No, but I remember hearing a while ago that the tape with the paint edge product built in can stain the paint.  I use Adams tape to trim before correcting and use the white roll for everything else. 

Did you do that mistake with my truck? Haha

Cuz I did it . Scratched the heck out of it when installing my shift kit. Then I got ATF on my fender. :(

No bueno. Truck is better now though. Lesson learned.

Haha no way, it was on my lifted Super Duty a few vehicles ago.  Dug all the way down into the metal with the end of my belt buckle.

face-palm.gif?w=870

Honestly, I have two of those rubber fender protectors from Snake Oyl.  Never had any problem with scratching or issues.  Like anything, you have to use common sense and check the underside for any stones or dirt before putting it on the fender.  I like them because nothing slips off of them while I'm working.

I use the same stuff the car manufactures use when they ship cars.  It comes in nice wide sheets so you just cut off a piece and stick it on.   It pulls off without leaving any film behind.  It's also what any good shop will use.  You'll see Livernois and TX speed use it.  

You want to use something that isn't going to slide around on the paint.  

attachicon.gif935116_412615165533397_691854435_n.jpg

Where do you get that stuff?

Ditto on the fender protectors. I use a set of Ford Racing fender protectors with a rubberized backing so it does not slip around. Never had a problem or any scratching of any kind using them. Sweatpants are helpful and or a long tshirt.

Yep, fender tenders, or road racers use a self adhesive platic that would be good. I forget what the stuff is called. Like others mentioned, watch what you're wearing, and be carefull.That's a lot of taping the other way, but whatever works.

Good luck with the mods.

Actually, most of that will be done from under the TBSS anyhow, so it shouldn't be too bad. I assume you're doing long tubes?

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

If this is the company that provides wrap at the VW Chattanooga plant (I'm guessing because they show the Passat wrapped just like they leave the factory), it's horrible in the summer time and leaves adhesive on the car unless you are just using this stuff in your garage.

Edited by SYMAWD

If this is the company that provides wrap at the VW Chattanooga plant (I'm guessing because they show the Passat wrapped just like they leave the factory), it's horrible in the summer time and leaves adhesive on the car unless you are just using this stuff in your garage.

It's not the one I bought and they make two different kinds. Short term and long term. The long term removes clean after 180 days. I don't use them outdoors.

Yes, Kooks long tube headers. From what I've read, the driver's side goes in easier from the bottom, but the passenger side can either go in from the bottom or the top... I guess we will see.. I'm a little nervous about it.. :/

Matt, you doing this from the ground or a lift?  If you have access to a lift, use it.  Any time I am working in my Engine Bay, I make sure my fenders a first cleaned, then I use an old Great White, like other people on this forum do.  I usually tape it up pretty good inside the "Hood shelf".