Customer Service 866.965.0400

polisher mistake! have a question.

keev14

Question

Ok need alittle help.    I am not normally cheap when it come's to my car products.  

All I use is adams.  

I bought all the polishing pads and have all the wax's.

My issue.   I went to harbor frieght and bought a chicago platinum polisher.   variable speed etc.

My ? is when I am using it.and put any pressure down the pad stop.    I take I, am getting what I paid for?

Does the porter cable 7424 do this ?     thx for any replies.      I am assuming i wasted 59.99!    :blink:

Harbor Freight??? That is your problem right there.  No offense.  I have a huge amount of tools for all kinds of jobs, whether it be home improvement or automotive.  You get what you pay for.  I have never had the Porter Cable bog down.  

Return the one from Harbor Freight.

Edited by LFairbanks

The Chicago Freight polisher is more powerful, but will bog down if you apply too much pressure or don't navigate a curve on a body panel correctly and so does the Porter Cable.

I bought it out of curiosity and it works fine. Change the backing plate though.

Edit: If you're going to order a PC instead, then you might as well skip it and order a GG6.

Edited by BKazzle

Harbor Freight??? That is your problem right there.  No offense.  I have a huge amount of tools for all kinds of jobs, whether it be home improvement or automotive.  You get what you pay for.  I have never had the Porter Cable bog down.  

Return the one from Harbor Freight.

The Chicago Freight polisher is more powerful, but will bog down if you apply too much pressure or don't navigate a curve on a body panel correctly and so does the Porter Cable.

I bought it out of curiosity and it works fine. Change the backing plate though.

Edit: If you're going to order a PC instead, then you might as well skip it and order a GG6.

I just ordered the P.c 7424 off thompson racing for 103.00 free ship.    You say the P.c will stop if I put down to much pressure ?   the chicago platinum stops very quick.  ???

Keev, that is exactly what I was going to rephrase.  I have never had the PC stop from pressure.  It does slow down which is normal.  But I have never had it completely stop.

I personally won't even go into that store.  Been in there once to just see what everybody was talking about.  IMO the stuff they sell is garbage.

Edited by LFairbanks

There are two types of DA polishers, one with free / not engaged center rotation gear which is safe for beginners, whenever you put pressure on it, will stop rotating to protect the paint from overheating and burning, but the orbital motion will continue

Second type is the direct drive (engaged gear) like the FLEX, it’s so powerful and giving good and fast results but you need to be careful to keep moving the polishing machine in a steady motion especially while using the heavy polish or compound

Good.      I dont have any severe swirls to correct.      But want something that will keep working while I, use it.

The Chicago polisher will stop by hand and or with any little pressure.

Lfairbanks,   100% agree on the H.f power tools.    Their pittsburgh hands are good quality for the price.       Suppose to be 50's here a couple days next week, 

Would love to get out in the garage and try out the new P.c.   

I did not use the PC (Porter Cable) polishing machine so i do not know if it's of type one or two but defiantly its DA (Dual Action)

The FLEX is DA and direct drive, it will never stop under any pressure

There are two types of DA polishers, one with free / not engaged center rotation gear which is safe for beginners, whenever you put pressure on it, will stop rotating to protect the paint from overheating and burning, but the orbital motion will continue

Second type is the direct drive (engaged gear) like the FLEX, it’s so powerful and giving good and fast results but you need to be careful to keep moving the polishing machine in a steady motion especially while using the heavy polish or compound

I guess the junk tools are safe for beginners if that is the case.  I honestly can't see where people can screw anything up with the Flex or PC as long as there is some common sense involved.

Keev, that is exactly what I was going to rephrase.  I have never had the PC stop from pressure.  It does slow down which is normal.  But I have never had it completely stop.

I personally won't even go into that store.  Been in there once to just see what everybody was talking about.  IMO the stuff they sell is garbage.

The PC should stop if pressure is applied too much. Obviously if you're experienced enough you won't have this issue, but it can still happen. I'm surprised you've never noticed yours doing this. Even the Rupes lineup does the same thing, but no pressure is need whatsoever with those.

I personally think there was no reason to buy the PC over the HF polisher, but if someone wants a better one for around the same price then they should go after the GG6. Way better than both and you get a lifetime warranty.

In this discussion about pressure making the PC stop - I have never had my PC 7424 stop its oscillation movement, but with with unbalanced light pressure or heavy straight pressure or just grabbing it with your hand you can make the rotation stop.

The Flex will never stop the oscillation and will never stop the rotation. In addition the Flex also has a long throw in its oscillation, about twice as long.

Edited by DaveVY

You will be just fine with the H/F polisher, your not starting a detailing business. If you watch the Adams videos the P/C will stop with to much pressure, they are made to do this so you don't damage your finish. I have a P/C , that I use with my 7" Adams pads, and I purchased the H/F for my 4" Adams pads ( saves a lot of time not having to switch back and forth). I purchased the H/F on sale for $54.99 plus I had a 20% off coupon, so I only paid around $42.00 for it. I couldn't pass that up for what I'm using it for. My black Vette is a weekend driver, I'm not a professional detailer, but I do get a lot of compliments on how it looks ( thanks to Adams Products ). Have fun detailing, it's very rewarding.

I used the HF D/A a handful of times and it is fine.  I did get the Adams backing plate for it as the one it came with was fairly wobbly.  I am currently using their blue pads, but this detail  season (if there is one- due to water shortages in CA) may upgrade pads as well.

The PC will typically not include a backing plate, so you'll need to pick one up.

I ordered it also  (backing plate adams)   It was an expense weekend  spent 200.00!!!    but 14% on both order's and free ship. Ordered a bunch stocked up.   I am good for a while.  !!!