Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waxing/sealing truck bed?

hawk115

Question

15 answers to this question

When I bought my Tacoma I just made peace with the fact that if I was going to really use thing thing as it was intended, it's going to get a few scratches from time to time, especially considering that other people will from time to time help me load stuff. But I'm thankful that the Tacoma has a composite bed so it won't be paint that's getting scratched up -- just plastic getting scuffed and gouged. I also put a Truxport tonneau cover over the bed; for $250 it's nice protection and I think makes the tuck look a lot cleaner (plus gives you some semi-weatherproof/semi secure cargo space.)  

If I had a metal bed I'd probably do a spray in liner and be done with it. But if you don't want to do that... get some spray sealant and give it a few light initial coats on the inside of the bed and then maybe a touchup coat once or twice a year -- that ought to help water bead up and roll out of it, as well as prevent some dust and dirt from collecting and acting as an abrasive to the paint. 

(glancing around) Yeah, I use Quick Sealant in my bed. I don't go nuts polishing and all, but Quick Sealant is so easy to use.

I use the rubber mat that only covers the bottom of the bed. Eventually I'd like to Line-X the bed, but no time.

Bruce

You should wax it with Line-X. Otherwise it's just going to get torn up and scratched and look like crap. If you want it to stay nice for a long time it needs to have a spray in liner.

If you don't get it sprayed in and it gets torn up too much, the spray in may not hold to the truck at a later point... If you want to keep it nice and keep it looking nice then you really need to consider a spray in... I recommend Line-X.

Edited by Kingsford

You should wax it with Line-X. Otherwise it's just going to get torn up and scratched and look like crap. If you want it to stay nice for a long time it needs to have a spray in liner.

If you don't get it sprayed in and it gets torn up too much, the spray in may not hold to the truck at a later point... If you want to keep it nice and keep it looking nice then you really need to consider a spray in... I recommend Line-X.

Huh????   Have you not seen what they do to the bed of your truck prior to spraying the bed liner in?  I'am not one bit worried to have mine sprayed whenever I have a chance to get to it.  Prep work prior to bed liner application is far rougher on the finish that someone using the truck as intended.  Watch the first video to the 2:03 time frame and tell me if I'am wrong.  I'am already set on getting a color matched Line X.  Have to even travel out of state to have it done.  Color matched and all at $800.  Just haven't done it yet.

Huh???? Have you not seen what they do to the bed of your truck prior to spraying the bed liner in? I'am not one bit worried to have mine sprayed whenever I have a chance to get to it. Prep work prior to bed liner application is far rougher on the finish that someone using the truck as intended. Watch the first video to the 2:03 time frame and tell me if I'am wrong. I'am already set on getting a color matched Line X. Have to even travel out of state to have it done. Color matched and all at $800. Just haven't done it yet.

v=wFec3Jt4Khc

Quality line-x job is high dollar but will outlast the life of the truck.

Not me, it's a truck!  I have a rubber mat that put in after I removed the plastic bedliner.  I maybe wash the bed once a year, but never treat it.   I do have a tonneau cover, so I don't see the bed often!

Huh????   Have you not seen what they do to the bed of your truck prior to spraying the bed liner in?  I'am not one bit worried to have mine sprayed whenever I have a chance to get to it.  Prep work prior to bed liner application is far rougher on the finish that someone using the truck as intended.  Watch the first video to the 2:03 time frame and tell me if I'am wrong.  I'am already set on getting a color matched Line X.  Have to even travel out of state to have it done.  Color matched and all at $800.  Just haven't done it yet.

Ya they scuff it up but the Line-X spray will last longer than your truck will. It has a lifetime warranty unlike the metal that will eventually rust through if it gets scratches up and not covered up. Like I said do it before it gets too scratched up and rusts. If theres a little bit of rust on the bed Line-X guys wont touch it because it wont bond properly. If you'd rather wax your truck bed and pray to got it doesn't get scratched that so be it but chances are it will get scratched because of the nature of trucks and eventually wont look as good as it once did.

Line-X guys usually give pretty big discounts for just about anything. I got $200 off and upgraded to the premium spray for just being a Firefighter. I am also considering having them do my trailer hitch receiver and the underside of the bed behind the rear wheels. I'm not sure if I'd go with the color match just cause of the price but thats a preference call.

Edited by Kingsford

I wash my bed like the exterior, but the floor is scratched up from use so I don't bother using any other products on it. However I do use DS on the inner tailgate and sides since they're somewhat visible.

I'll get around to doing a spray-in liner eventually, but I figure the more scratches I have to hide I'll be getting my money's worth. :cool:

I had a spray in bedliner put in at the gmc dealer here locally.  I liked there product because it was guaranteed to last, plus it was a very shiny finish that matched my shiny black paint was why I chose theres over linex.  Plus I like to do business with my local gmc dealer, they are small family owned and are great to work with.  They also do business with me at my restaurant with catered meals and what not .  I have never put anything on it to protect it or shine it up and it looks just as good as it did over two years ago, the last year sitting outside.  Just pressure spray it out at the coin op randomly with soap, cause trash will leak sometimes on it.  Think mine was like $450 ish with the rails done.