Customer Service 866.965.0400

Questions about strip wash, sealant/wax, and sun protection

MD96F150

Question

My truck sits outside in the sun but it is not a daily driver, never driven in rain/snow, etc.....

I want extra protection from the damaging sun rays between the full details.

I wash the truck often, even if it hasn't been driven. It only gets MSS and Buttery Wax twice a year when I do a full detail with light paint correction.

What I would like to do is a strip wash once a month in the summer and once every two months in the winter (the sun angle provides much more shade in the winter). After the strip wash, am I safe to just apply MSS and buttery wax? This way I can assure myself that it will have a strong UV barrier at all times.

This would mean I skip the claybar and polish! The truck does not get driven in any bad weather and the paint is still smooth/clean as the last time I clayed it.

Thank you! First time poster, long time user of Adams products and browser of the forums.

5 answers to this question

I don't believe there is any UV protection in the sealants or waxes. (Might be wrong.)  However - they will protect against oxidation - which is much more dangerous to your paint.

If you're looking for protection you are fine doing sealant and wax twice a year.  If you are looking for ultimate shine you will need to add clay and polish.

I would still consider claying at least once a year.  Do the baggie test - you can't really feel the contaminants with your bare fingers.

Monthly strip washing is overkill and, depending on what you use to strip wash, could be bad for your car. Regardless, you would be creating more work for yourself having to re-seal every time. Let the sealant do its job, it lasts for a lot longer than one month. Regular washes + monthly BW will maintain your protection and shine. Strip washing is normally for when you need to start with bare paint for a full detail (clay, polish, seal).

Monthly strip washing is overkill and, depending on what you use to strip wash, could be bad for your car. Regardless, you would be creating more work for yourself having to re-seal every time. Let the sealant do its job, it lasts for a lot longer than one month. Regular washes + monthly BW will maintain your protection and shine. Strip washing is normally for when you need to start with bare paint for a full detail (clay, polish, seal).

I'll echo this.  The MSS or LPS or even QS was developed to Last.  No need to strip and re-apply unless it's degraded to a point where you are not getting any tight beading, or there is some latency there.    If you applied MSS or LPS or QS 2x a year, and touched it up with Buttery Wax every two months...I see that as being right about right.

Gerry and Mook have hit the nail on the head. Even on a daily driver any of the Adam's line of sealants last a long while. Adding Buttery or Americana on top of the sealant will not only enhance the shine but will act as an additional sacrificial barrier. Protect the car's finish with a sealant and protect the sealant with wax. When you notice a significant reduction in the sealant's hydrophobic properties start thinking about a more comprehensive detailing.