Customer Service 866.965.0400

Your thoughts on debadging.....

TimH

Question

I'm interested in your thoughts on debadging my truck.  I absolutely hate the Z85 stickers on the Sierra.  I also thought maybe the truck would have a much cleaner look without the Sierra logos on the doors and tailgate. The truck is a daily driver, so it's no big deal but I just thought I would throw it out there.  Thanks.

truck

truck2 (1)

I always remove the dealer stuff ASAP (if I cannot talk them into leaving it off - sometimes I remove it in the lot before driving the car home).  I debadged the emblems on the side of my truck, but left the stickers on the tailgate.

The eraser wheel just scares me to look at.  Heat gun......heck no....wouldn't trust myself.

If you are married and your wife has a hairdryer try that first.  It will get very warm, but not near as hot as a heat gun.  It may take a little longer than a heat gun, but it is less stressful!

I did all 3 of my cars last year.  The oldest being a 2006 and all the badges come off really easy.  I found that using a piece of heavy duty fishing line and hooking behind badge and while pulling towards you (to keep fishing line off of paint) running the line back and forth behind the badge it cut really easy.  I wore a pair of gloves for protection but also didn't impede my dexterity.  I used some 50 pound line that I had.  Your line may break in the process and you will need more.  So make sure you have plenty.  I then took and pulled the residue that was left behind by hand.  If you pull on it just right and keep the angle at a 45 to the body panel a lot of it will come off at once fairly easy.  This part was the most time consuming.  I even have a heat gun and found the method I described above to work best for me.  There are several ways to do it and not one is right.  Just pay attention and take your time.

Just a quick tip, if you are not sure or if it is a bigger item look up the parts you plan on debadging and make sure there is no hole behind it. If you don't do this, you're gonna have a bad time.

Oh and 20-pound test fishing line wrapped round a couple of pencils can help get badges off after you heat them up. Just get it under the badge and move it in a sawing motion. It takes time but is fairly safe from causing damage to the paint below. Anything left can be removed with a little heat and APC.

Edited by dipolley

Just a quick tip, if you are not sure or if it is a bigger item look up the parts you plan on debadging and make sure there is no hole behind it. If you don't do this, you're gonna have a bad time.

Oh and 20-pound test fishing line wrapped round a couple of pencils can help get badges off after you heat them up. Just get it under the badge and move it in a sawing motion. It takes time but is fairly safe from causing damage to the paint below. Anything left can be removed with a little heat and APC.

Thanks.....Im gonna wait for it to warm up a little bit then give it a go.  

Anything on a vehicle that only serves the manufacturer, as a model identifier, I like to remove.  When Chevrolet, or any other car manufacturer starts paying to run their badges, they can stay.  Otherwise, 150lb fishing line and some time with my fingernail, and then Goof Off....  Nothing to catch polish, wax, or dirt too!

Anything on a vehicle that only serves the manufacturer, as a model identifier, I like to remove.  When Chevrolet, or any other car manufacturer starts paying to run their badges, they can stay.  Otherwise, 150lb fishing line and some time with my fingernail, and then Goof Off....  Nothing to catch polish, wax, or dirt too!

Any thoughts of bringing an Adam's version of goo gone or similar product to market?!