Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip before Sealant

Revlimiter

Question

Hey there a few weeks before putting my car  into storage i put a coat of americana and glaze on my car and then the day off putting it away i gave it a quck coat of buttery. My question is should i strip the car of all wax before applying the sealant or just apply right over what i had did just before putting the car in storage. If i do have to strip what should i use ???

7 answers to this question

Sealants should be applied to bare paint; you always want your longest-lasting protection to be between the paint and everything else. Do what Frank suggested to strip the old wax off before applying a sealant. You can then apply a wax over the sealant if you want

Is it ok to strip each panel individually with just Isopropyl alcohol? Want to strip old sealant and wax to put on new. Car is flawless and don't want to mess with wash bucket, soap or cleaners etc.

You can use IPA, but make sure you have diluted it with distilled water and use a gentle touch. Full strength IPA can cause some paint systems to temporarily swell. I try to stay in the 20-25% dilution of IPA/water. Since IPA has no lubricants in it, so you will more or less be dragging a damp towel across the surface of your paint and the mechanical action could cause some micro-marring to appear. It's OK to use, just make sure you keep the above in mind when doing so.