Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any harm done?

Ace22

Question

Got a little eager to detail today as the sun actually came out today.  I had my car prepped 2 months ago with:  clay, revive polish, sealant, then buttery.  Washed the car today (2 bucket wash with soap only, no stripping) and instantly grabbed the new liquid sealant, and applied.  Afterthought was that the sealant probably didn't adhere well as it was not "bare" paint.  So, since already into it I just glazed, then buttery wax.

Car shines great now as the glaze just makes it pop. Question is any harm that I did or should I just start over when it warms up?  Any input appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Thanks, I plan on doing that hopefully when the weather warms up.  I guess I am assuming I had some protection down already with the initial sealant.  Does the sealant application strip anything?  I am hoping I am at least protected another month or two until the weather breaks.

Yes, your car will spontaneously combust, sorry.

In all seriousness, you will be just fine and the sealant likely bonded, just not as well as it could have.  When you wash your car, observe how it sheets water.  When the sealant is there, the water will run off pretty easily.  Once the water begins to stick to the paint, it is time to reapply.

Before applying sealant, it is best to add 2-4oz of APC to your wash bucket as it will remove any wax or sealant that is left on your paint.  You should also clay if necessary.  Your car should be protected for a few months between the sealant and the buttery wax.  It is not necessary to start over right away.

Edited by SYMAWD