Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stuff that makes you proud

Marylander

You know, the news media today seems to thrive on the negative, the bad, and seems intent on scaring the bee-jesus out of everyone... but really, there are a LOT of great things going on in our country and the world that warrant some applause and appreciation. I realized this the other day when I was watching National Geographic's pieces on Air Force One and Marine One. The men and women who make those units run are simply amazing. Just watching them gave me a little more faith in our country and people.

So, what do you see out there that really inspires you? :cheers:

Here's a good one. I have a 2yo son. This kid loves his stuffed dog, "Woof Woof". The other night I asked if I could play with the dog and he said no. I played like I was hurt and I pouted. He was sincerely troubled by this and immediately gave me the dog and a hug as he said "here go, Daddy".

That may sound a little corny or something, but it shows me that we all inherently want people to be happy and have good in us...I love that kid.

Here's a good one. I have a 2yo son. This kid loves his stuffed dog, "Woof Woof". The other night I asked if I could play with the dog and he said no. I played like I was hurt and I pouted. He was sincerely troubled by this and immediately gave me the dog and a hug as he said "here go, Daddy".

That may sound a little corny or something, but it shows me that we all inherently want people to be happy and have good in us...I love that kid.

:worth: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great post Rich!! :thumbsup:

I've got tons of Good News, and love to spread it around!

• The important things are still the important things! A healthy family, a fresh snow, a bicycle ride on a nice day. Sipping hot coffee outside when it freezing cold. Drinking a cold beer when it's hot as heck. None of that has changed one bit!
  • Life is Good! (Consider the alternative.)
  • We live in an amazing country, with incredible opportunity. (Americans can do anything we set our minds to, with safety assured.)
  • USA is leaving Guantanamo Bay, finally!
  • A family can live inexpensively in most parts of this fantastic country, surrounded by trees, deer, and king people, should they choose.
  • The US removed N. Korea from the 'threat' list.
  • People are still good! How about Doctors without Borders? http://www.DoctorsWithoutBorders.org

"Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international medical humanitarian organization working in more than 60 countries to assist people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe."

The media is pushing the bad news out to a criminal extent, and should be stopped. The self-perpetuating recession can be stopped if people regain hope. The media kills hope, and should PIPE DOWN!!

In October, my wife and I stopped listening to the news. We have never been ones to watch TV, or have any cable or such, so NPR was our news source.

We used to listen to NPR in the home office all day long. Finally, in October, we were sitting listening to how terrible everything was being made out to be, and turned the radio to Jack FM.

We check out a few news streams online, especially this one: http://www.newstoplease.com

Never looked back, and we comment all the time how great of a move that was!

If anyone chooses to follow our path of disconnecting your cable, and only clicking on the Google News page once a week, we 100% Guarantee more smiles per day, and less stress.

Just think: We can be miserable, negative, and get through this economic downturn, or positive, work harder, take advantage of new opportunities, and get through this downturn. You choice?

Time has proven: This too shall pass, and we will all look back on these times and remember how we handled it.:thumbsup:

I am proudest of both of my kids, but my son is an inspiration. As a little guy,he was extremely bright. He could identify playing cards at 1 and was reading by 3. He was in the gifted class in elementary school and into middle school. But he was hyperactive and was prescribed Ritalin to calm him down. At age 11,he started having these headaches to the point he would vomit. And was bumping into things. And sleeping all the time. My wife "knew" something was wrong and the dr's found he had a tumor on the top of his brain stem that stopped the flow of fluid from his brain. This made the ventricles in his brain swell which pushed his brain against his head bones and only the vomiting would release the pressure. The tumor was inoperable, but he had surgery to put in a shunt that would drain the fluid from his brain to his abdomen for him. His first one worked for a couple of days, then failed. He had surgery again to implant a second one, which worked for almost a year. Then came a third one, and it failed too, but by now he had so much dead matter between his brain and skull that they had to remove the sides of his head to get the stuff out. A fourth shunt was implanted and this one worked. He was never the same afterward. Not as bright, slower, walked different........but somewhere inside he was still the same. We were told he'd have to have radiation therapy to shrink the tumor, and for 38 days, my wife would drive to Pittsburgh with him for his treatment. And he came through all of this.

We were told that he would never drive a car, and might never be normal again.

He is now 32 years old. He attended college and earned two Associates degrees in computers, is a court reporter licensed in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, has been driving for 10 years (all over the country) and lives independently. He has absolutely no fear of anything new and sings karaoke in local bars. And he's into geocaching which requires understanding a GPS system to find hidden objects.

In other words, he's normal, and he did it all himself. He's my hero. And I'm proud of him.

Great story Rich!!!

I'll keep my list short and simple.

My kids. They are special and unique in their own little ways. Sometimes they bug me to no end but my life would be empty without them.

My wife Probably the single most important person in my life. Standing by me in good times and bad. Raising the kids, running the house and working a full time job when I am gone from home for up to 7 months at at time. She is my best friend and I would be lost without her.

I love this thread. All of you have hit on great things. I loved Rich's story of perseverance with his son and Steve you hit it exactly with kids and the wife. My wife Robin and I celebrated our 30th anniversary last October and finally went on a two day excursion to the Poconos for the first time we had ever gone anywhere for our anniversary including no honeymoon. I can't imagine how empty my life would be without her. When I was layed off 5 years ago she went out and got a job at Lowes after not working for 24 years and never complained about it. I can't imagine anyone putting up with me like she has. She talked me into buying the 32 and not waiting for our daughter to finish college.

I had the great honor of walking my daughter down the aisle last June and it is a memory that will go with me to the grave. Our son is still trying to figure out things in life at 28 but we are hoping the light is going on now. Unfortunately I lost my Father 3 years ago and he was my best friend. I agree with Adam about the state of mind. This family on this forum is great. I look forward to reading this forum everyday.

This thread for one. Hope, that is the #1 thing that has to be alive to do anything. I have so much to be Thankful for. Being clean and sober for 5 years now has given all the hope and a life beyond my wildest dreams. My daughter got married this past Sunday (8th). Not being sober I would not have been a part of nor would I have even been invited. I live life one day at a time now. Its hard for me to be proud of these things, because its pride that sometimes gets me into trouble. But then again there is So much out here that is good, if the media would only show us that. Thank You for this thread, its a start of something good. As you know we have to start somewhere to get somewhere.:bow:

Wow, what great replies. Reading through all these things made me think of another thing that I am so proud of that I need to write about: my parents.

I'm approaching 40 and live on the opposite side of the country as my parents. I'm at an age where I know who I am, most of my "selfish/do what I want/gotta put job first years" are behind me, and it occurs to me that I'm very lucky that my parents are still alive, healthy, and enjoying their lives. I think about all the kind and generous things that they did for me all these years, about the sacrifices that they made for my sister and me, and how they put us first whenever they made decisions about anything. They wisely knew when to correct us, when to let us make mistakes, and never failed to be there for us when we needed them. When they tell me that they are proud of ME, I know that I could never have become who I am without having had such good parents.

So now I truly enjoy finding time to visit them, fays to do things for them, and let them know how much I appreciate them. No matter what the future brings, I can already say for certain that the two worst days of my life will be the days that I lose them. I certainly hope those days are a long way off, and I intend to make sure that between now and then I miss no opportunity to let them know what they mean to me.

Rich

What a great group of humans we have here! These are all outstanding, and I've got the chills reading you posts.

Almost feel stupid that I didn't add my parents, and wife as people that I'm incredibly proud of.

Dad: Fearless, educated, independent and determined person who is my mentor and best friend. He's been to zero twice in his nearly 65 years, and come back stronger each time. Generous to a fault, and can't say, "I love you," enough. How lucky to have him to look up to, and take after, hopefully.

Mom: Loving, amazingly warm and helpful. She provided a love so unconditional, so strong and deep that it stuck, and now I love our daughter so much, it hurts. That came from Mom.

Wife: Melissa has her feet on the ground, and her heart is full with love for our family. When we've had tough times, both personally and financially over the past 4 years, she doesn't waiver. When life gives us lemons, she makes the best lemonade on earth!

I'm a lucky guy share a last name with these incredible humans, proud to say the least.:thumbsup:

Im thankful for everything I have, I have a great wife and loving family (no Kids yet but im working on it ;)) Anyway I think what makes me proudest is the soldiers that continue to fight for our freedom, my brother and sister firefighters/EMT's/cops who when something bad happens go in when everyone else is running out. I think though one of my proudest moments was when I served a 12 hour shift at the world trade center with my ambulance crew. I didnt dig but stoodby at pier A in battery park with our ambulance in case someone got hurt digging. The next proudest moment of my life was my wife saying she would marry me and probably next would be accepting a life saving award from a gentleman who I did CPR on and defibed him and he walked out of the hosptal. Note these things arent necesarily in order right dear?

I think I can add 'my detailing work' to this list of things to be proud of...And that's not bc Im some great detailer. Instead, its bc I love to take a dirty or neglected vehicle, give it some TLC and then stand back and look at the improvement I made. I see it like this: there are SO many bad/wrong things that I cant chage, it feels good to change what I can. Immeidate and tangible results are nice and they give me what I need to go to work each day and fight larger battles...

ok, enough philosophy for me....

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it's tough, I've had a rough year but I have my health (well minus a torn ACL) lol. However for me when I start feeling down or think this world is full of bad I think back to this last summer. (2008) I'm sure some of you heard on the news or maybe lived it yourself but the midwest was hit by major flooding this year. My family farms in the Mississippi River bottoms here in west central Illinois and my Father's and Uncles's lively hood was on the line with record river crests forecasted. We had already lost everything back in 1993 and although I was young I remember it like it was yesterday and I remember the toll it took on my family. I also remember the unbelievable outreach total strangers gave.

This year was no different. It was amazing, we started moving everything on the farm out on a Monday. Over the previous weekend huge rains fell north of us and the river was forecast to rise nearly 10ft in the next several days. Unless you have lived it you can't imagine that heart sinking feeling. The river was already up and the new predictions put it above 1993 levels. We knew if those predictions came true the levees would break and all would be lost again. So we began the long process of moving everything, tractors, trucks, tools, furnature from the houses, everything. By that Monday afternoon what started as my Dad, Mom, Aunt, Uncle, and myself had grown to a small army of family members. It was odd because the small town by our farm which also lies in the flood plain seemed to not be bothered by the predictions, we were the only ones moving. Then Tuesday came and brought more rain over night. The predictions were even higher and suddenly the small town was packed with people moving. It was chaos.

By Wednesday hundreds if not thousands of volunteers from all over the country poured into the area to help sand bag the levees. It was an overwhelming sight, so many people who had nothing at stake took off from their lives to help save our lively hood. It was amazing.

So the moral of my long story is that everytime I see the news about some crazy people shooting their kids, or terrorist, or what ever that makes me think humans are inherintly bad I think of the scenes I saw last summer when total strangers came together to help other total strangers make it through an extremely difficult time.

Sometimes it's tough, I've had a rough year but I have my health (well minus a torn ACL) lol. However for me when I start feeling down or think this world is full of bad I think back to this last summer. (2008) I'm sure some of you heard on the news or maybe lived it yourself but the midwest was hit by major flooding this year. My family farms in the Mississippi River bottoms here in west central Illinois and my Father's and Uncles's lively hood was on the line with record river crests forecasted. We had already lost everything back in 1993 and although I was young I remember it like it was yesterday and I remember the toll it took on my family. I also remember the unbelievable outreach total strangers gave.

This year was no different. It was amazing, we started moving everything on the farm out on a Monday. Over the previous weekend huge rains fell north of us and the river was forecast to rise nearly 10ft in the next several days. Unless you have lived it you can't imagine that heart sinking feeling. The river was already up and the new predictions put it above 1993 levels. We knew if those predictions came true the levees would break and all would be lost again. So we began the long process of moving everything, tractors, trucks, tools, furnature from the houses, everything. By that Monday afternoon what started as my Dad, Mom, Aunt, Uncle, and myself had grown to a small army of family members. It was odd because the small town by our farm which also lies in the flood plain seemed to not be bothered by the predictions, we were the only ones moving. Then Tuesday came and brought more rain over night. The predictions were even higher and suddenly the small town was packed with people moving. It was chaos.

By Wednesday hundreds if not thousands of volunteers from all over the country poured into the area to help sand bag the levees. It was an overwhelming sight, so many people who had nothing at stake took off from their lives to help save our lively hood. It was amazing.

So the moral of my long story is that everytime I see the news about some crazy people shooting their kids, or terrorist, or what ever that makes me think humans are inherintly bad I think of the scenes I saw last summer when total strangers came together to help other total strangers make it through an extremely difficult time.

Great story. I agree, a majority of people are good and decent. It's just the bad one's that get all the headlines.