Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adamized the Raptor

TheWolf

GAUGE CLUSTER POLISHING

Not really sure why I waited so long to fix the scratches on the gauge cluster cover.  Most of them were there when the truck was new, and a few were added when I made the mistake of vacuuming the sand off with a less-than-soft brush attachment.

attachicon.gif01.jpg

Tools for the task: Paint Finishing Polish, Brilliant Glaze, Single Soft Towels, blue painter’s tape.

attachicon.gif02.jpg

Started by taping off the adjacent plastic, to keep the polish from getting on it.  Taping was easy since you can slide the tape behind the edge of the plastic, then wrap it around the front.

attachicon.gif03.jpg

Put a small amount of Paint Finishing Polish on the Single Soft Towel.

attachicon.gif04.jpg

Then polished by hand with just the portion of the towel that has polish on it.  I wrapped the rest of the towel around my hand to keep it from catching on the tape.

attachicon.gif05.jpg

After polishing for about 15 minutes, I wiped the residue off with a clean portion of the towel, then checked with a strong light to make sure all the major scratches were gone.

attachicon.gif06.jpg

I did see some minor scratches on the back of the cluster cover, but they are not that noticeable.

Next up was some Brilliant Glaze applied with a clean Single Soft Towel.  The Brilliant Glaze contains fillers, so it will help hide any scratches that did not come out with the hand polishing.

attachicon.gif07.jpg

attachicon.gif08.jpg

After the glaze hazed up, wiped the residue with a clean portion of the towel.

A significant improvement!

attachicon.gif09.jpg

This is PURE GOLD. I can't tell you how many times I've avoided my plastic cluster cover due to the fact that it is so easily scratched. I thought I'd never be able to safely remove those scratches, but this proves me wrong!

I'm so happy you shared this. I cannot wait to try this out on my own cluster!

Edited by Gremlin85

• 1 month later...

WAX RE-MELT

My tub of Americana Paste Wax was about half used up, and had really broken up.  This wax is not the new version, but about 2 years old. 

To re-melt it, I used a double-boiler, adding just enough water to the level that the wax container, without the lid, just started to float.

20160319_113115.jpg

With the heat on medium, I watched the wax to see when the smallest specs just started to melt, then reduced the heat to low.

20160319_115832.jpg

20160319_120154.jpg

On low heat, it took about 20 minutes for the wax to completely melt.  It is important to melt the wax VERY slowly, with just enough heat to get it right over the melting temperature.  Using higher heat to melt faster can degrade the wax.  Do not leave unattended on the stove, watch for melting and adjust the heat as low as possible.

20160319_121359.jpg

Note that if you have just a few cracks in the wax, you can still get it onto an applicator, so I would not re-melt for that.  But if it is broken into chunks like this one, then the only way to get it onto an applicator is to rub a chunk onto the face of the foam.  In short, only re-melt if really needed.

Once melted, I carefully removed it and let it cool off and solidify.

20160319_121543.jpg

20160319_123625.jpg

Also, be very, very careful with melted wax.  At 180+ degrees it can cause severe burns and will stick to the skin, causing even more damage.  Take special care, and do not leave unattended on the stove where a child could get hurt.

One last tip, this is best done when the lady of the house is out.  You don't want to get in trouble for using her cookware for detailing stuff, and you certainly don't want to let her know that you can actually run the stove by yourself.  :jester:

WAX RE-MELT

My tub of Americana Paste Wax was about half used up, and had really broken up.  This wax is not the new version, but about 2 years old. 

To re-melt it, I used a double-boiler, adding just enough water to the level that the wax container, without the lid, just started to float.

attachicon.gif20160319_113115.jpg

With the heat on medium, I watched the wax to see when the smallest specs just started to melt, then reduced the heat to low.

attachicon.gif20160319_115832.jpg

attachicon.gif20160319_120154.jpg

On low heat, it took about 20 minutes for the wax to completely melt.  It is important to melt the wax VERY slowly, with just enough heat to get it right over the melting temperature.  Using higher heat to melt faster can degrade the wax.  Do not leave unattended on the stove, watch for melting and adjust the heat as low as possible.

attachicon.gif20160319_121359.jpg

Note that if you have just a few cracks in the wax, you can still get it onto an applicator, so I would not re-melt for that.  But if it is broken into chunks like this one, then the only way to get it onto an applicator is to rub a chunk onto the face of the foam.  In short, only re-melt if really needed.

Once melted, I carefully removed it and let it cool off and solidify.

attachicon.gif20160319_121543.jpg

attachicon.gif20160319_123625.jpg

Also, be very, very careful with melted wax.  At 180+ degrees it can cause severe burns and will stick to the skin, causing even more damage.  Take special care, and do not leave unattended on the stove where a child could get hurt.

One last tip, this is best done when the lady of the house is out.  You don't want to get in trouble for using her cookware for detailing stuff, and you certainly don't want to let her know that you can actually run the stove by yourself.  :jester:

great info. it makes me want to throw a wick in that container and burn it in my house :)

The Raptor is now going to have to share my attention with this new 2016 Ford Explorer Sport.

Its the wife's DD, we ordered in mid-Fed and took delivery last Sunday.  Didn't get home until mid afternoon, so it got a quick detail.  Thorough wash and sealed with HGG.  The inside got vacuumed, wiped down with damp towels, and treated to Leather Conditioner on everything.

Once I find a couple days of free time, it will get a full detail including 2-step paint correction. 

20160424_195324.jpg

20160424_195310.jpg

20160424_195341.jpg

20160424_195253.jpg

20160424_195244.jpg

20160424_195206.jpg

And I know what you're thinking, that I'm a slacker for not getting black, but the lady-boss didn't like the non-metallic Shadow Black.  It looked a bit plain compared to the Tuxedo Black Metallic on the truck.  I have to say, the Magnetic Metallic does look sharp, just not quite the level of depth as my truck.

Best tip of the year, lifetime, ever!!!!

Fixed some scratches in a couple areas from the last trip to the sand dunes.

Here's a before photo:

20160507_124810.jpg

Used the Cyclo Polisher and Correcting Polish on the Orange Foam Pad to remove the scratches, then used Finishing Polish on the White Foam Pad to get all the shine back on!

20160507_141044.jpg

After cleaning up with some Waterless Wash, applied a coat of Paint Sealant to the polished areas.

I think Ford loves Orange Peel more than Toyota does... 

Chrysler is pretty bad too... It's hard to get a close up reflection in my truck that isn't very blurred from the orange peel. 

Nice work on the Raptor, Dan!

Edited by James__

Wow Dan, I just read through the whole thread. Very well written. I do have a question for you. At the beginning you used Paste wax. When you used the guard and gloss towards the end of the thread, what is your opinion on each one? Do you mix them and let them build up or, paste when it's nice, g&g during the winter?

I think Ford loves Orange Peel more than Toyota does... 

Orange peel is great for making creepy face reflection shots!   :jester:

Wow Dan, I just read through the whole thread. Very well written. I do have a question for you. At the beginning you used Paste wax. When you used the guard and gloss towards the end of the thread, what is your opinion on each one? Do you mix them and let them build up or, paste when it's nice, g&g during the winter?

Thanks Ryan!

Once the HGG was released, it quickly became part of my regular, year-round maintenance routine, applied on top of PS.  The great thing about this product is it also provides protection to the plastics, vinyl, and glass, where a paste wax only adds protection to the paint.

I still use paste wax, but only during the summer and mainly to provide a little more gloss, and often just to enjoy some detailing time.

I have not seen any build-up yet with a base of PS, HGG every 4-6 weeks, and paste wax a couple time every summer.  It does all get stripped and/or polished off during my spring and fall details.

• 2 weeks later...

Very happy Friday indeed. I have the same two units. They work very well together. Please post your review. 

Will do.  I am narrowing down the list of which of my friends or family members is going to get a full polish so I can put these machines to work.  Selection criteria so far is 1) hammered paint, but fixable, 2) cool car that would be worth all the effort, 3) once it looks better than new, the least likely person to run it through an automatic car wash. :lol: