Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning door jambs

gbod

Question

There is nothing more disappointing than fishing up a nice two bucket wash only to open the doors and find all the little puddles of dirty water that have collected in the door jambs. (and trunk jamb- or whatever it's called?)

What is the recommendation for cleaning the door jambs?  Do you go over it with a damp microfiber after the wash?   Or do you clean them well before the two-bucket wash?  

What does everyone do?

(And on a related note- do you guys seal and/or wax in there?)

Edited by gbod

19 answers to this question

Depends on how dirty the jambs are, but I do a good job of keeping up with mine, so waterless wash works well.

Yes to seal/waxing.  Yes to claying and polishing as well, if you are a true detailer.

I like AIO's for door jambs if they need polished. Minimizes effort for the benefit. Reminds me I need to order one of those new FLEX PE-8's for tight spots like that.

i just keep mine clean, I don't seal/wax.  after I am done washing, I just take a damp microfiber and clean the jams.  I sometimes use waterless wash but most of the time I don't

Next time you clean them throw some quick sealant on the jambs. They stay cleaner and are easier to wipe down

Depends on how dirty the jambs are, but I do a good job of keeping up with mine, so waterless wash works well.

I like AIO's for door jambs if they need polished. Minimizes effort for the benefit. Reminds me I need to order one of those new FLEX PE-8's for tight spots like that.

AIO's or aerosols work fine, Quick Sealant would be great if they are already in great shape, otherwise a little hand polish would work well to restore them before sealing.  I have Sonax PNS which works great for door jambs easy on and easy off which is why I recommend Quick Sealant for protection on them out of Adam's line.

Best restoring product by hand is probably Revive if the jambs haven't been cleaned out in a while as well.  APC and the lug nut brush with boars hair is also great for agitating the stuck on grime.

I use DS or WW with a older WW towel, every time I wash.......

This is what I do as well.

I do like the idea of using some Quick Sealant on the jams though!

But I have to say... I'm pretty lucky on my daily driver, M5....BMW did a great job of sealing the jambs. So they don't get too bad. But wipe them down every time either way.

Edited by PhilT3 2014 BMW M5

This is what I do as well.

I do like the idea of using some Quick Sealant on the jams though!

But I have to say... I'm pretty lucky on my daily driver, M5....BMW did a great job of sealing the jambs. So they don't get too bad. But wipe them down every time either way.

Good regimen Phil, if you have the QS try it on the jambs.  Or take an MF applicator with the Liquid Paint Sealant and be sure to protect them, makes them soooo easy to wipe down when they are sealed.

I use Detail Spray or Waterless Wash with a older Waterless Wash towel, every time I wash.......

Exactly what I do.

Heck, I have had some customers Door Jambs so bad I had to clay them.

Since it does not take long, I will apply some wax usually too to make the cleaning next time easier . . . especially if the door jambs were really bad before I tackled them.

If the car is EXTREMELY filthy I'll actually do a quick Waterless Wash of the doorjambs first, before proceeding to the full wash. Reason being is I've found that significant amounts of buildup in door jams can actually lead to dirty water running out of panel gaps after the wash and then you end up with potentially abrasive particles on your towel.

I don't do a super thorough or good job, but I do blast them with a liberal amount of waterless, then wipe with a utility or WW towel. After washing I go back thru again and do a more complete job when I dry.

If its a vehicle thats not that dirty then I just hit the door jambs after washing with a few shots of waterless and a towel.