Customer Service 866.965.0400

Homeade PVC Undercarraige and car roof washer.

ndsports316

If i posted this in the wrong section, please move to the correct thread.

I wanted to share a homemade undercarriage wash device that is good to use for the Garden Hose washer. I do not use a pressure washer. For people with pressure washers you can buy a special undercarriage washer attachment.

For your typical garden hose user this works pretty good and the pressure is good too.

We built this device a little longer then the guy who makes the "Underwasher" so we don't have to bend as much when using it. Also you can hold it upright rinse the top of the truck/car

One: 10 foot 1/2" PVC.

Two: 45 Degree 1/2" elbows

One: 1/2" PVC Pipe Cap

Pvc: Glue or Glue & Primer

one: 3/4in x 1/2in Swivel Hose adapter: Ace hardware part #48479

Ace Quick Connector Hose Coupling Set.

This took only 15 minutes or so to build. We had the hardware store cut the 10 foot pvc in half. We decided when we got home, the wand part that shoots the spray, we only wanted roughly 2 1/2 feet of it so we used pvc cutters to cut the piece. We used the spare piece later to act as a handle.

We drilled holes roughly every 4 inches or so and added a few angled holes to get different directions of spray.

we glued the two elbow pieces, the end cap, and the swivel hose adapter. We then took the quick hose connector and screwed it in. We can pop the garden hose on and off as needed and quickly and also control the pressure.

You could cut the 5 foot handle piece down a foot or so, but we wanted to make it longer to reduce bending, so you can get roughly the entire undercarraige of the car all the way to the passenger side for example.

Quick YouTube Demo video: http://youtu.be/qoYKUqY9rv8

11w4zra.jpg

2gspycy.jpg

20ucxv7.jpg

Edited by ndsports316

cool!  what size bit did you use to drill the holes?

My dad helped me drilled the holes, he couldn't read the bit number, he just guessed what would be the proper hole size. He said he would compare the bit used to the size of a ink tube on a standard ballpoint pen, if that makes any sense? So possibly a 1.00 mm drill bit? http://www.csgnetwork.com/drillsizeconvert.html

I would guess, between a  1/32 and 3/64 drill bit or anything from a #62 down to #59

http://bobmay.astronomy.net/misc/drillchart.htm

The bigger the holes the more water but less pressure. The smaller the holes the better pressure, less water. So a medium of the two is what you want.

Edited by ndsports316

Great build. I bet you could cut your pipe into 1 foot sections and place a 1/2" T fitting. The build would be the same look as you have now except for the open T positions. Lowes and other stores sell home irrigation replacement parts. If you could fit a couple Rain 360 degree sprinkler heads you could have a better spray applicator and hit more area of the undercarriage. And I'm referring to the small replacement nozzle and not the 4" sprinkler head. These nozzles are maybe 3/4" in diameter and height. You'd have to experiment with pvc fitting while you're there. I think the rain heads are 3/8".

Great build. I bet you could cut your pipe into 1 foot sections and place a 1/2" T fitting. The build would be the same look as you have now except for the open T positions. Lowes and other stores sell home irrigation replacement parts. If you could fit a couple Rain 360 degree sprinkler heads you could have a better spray applicator and hit more area of the undercarriage. And I'm referring to the small replacement nozzle and not the 4" sprinkler head. These nozzles are maybe 3/4" in diameter and height. You'd have to experiment with pvc fitting while you're there. I think the rain heads are 3/8".

I did the tee but without the sprinkler heads and it works great. I am working on B model with sprinkler heads when I get time...