Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car with PermaPlate

tony97gt

Question

Okay guys, I've tried searching and haven't come up with any useful info on this. My wife got a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee yesterday, and all their vehicles have the PermaPlate protection installed prior to being sold. This includes interior (leather) and exterior protection. I did not pay for this because they said they do it to all their vehicles, but if you pay then you get the protection of the warranty that comes with it, and if not you get no warranty. I visited two different dealerships and they both have the same plan. So...my question is...am I going to remove this PermaPlate by doing a paint correction? I use the Flex machine now on my other vehicles. How long should I wait to polish/wax the new truck? Is anybody familiar with this PermaPlate stuff?

20 answers to this question

First off, I'd read the reviews on this stuff.  Sounds kind of like a gimmick to me.  But even I have bought into some of this paint protection stuff with the clear bra.

As for your question, it's called PERMA plate, so to me it sounds permanent. Waxing, polishing,and anything else you do to your vehicle shouldn't affect it.  And unless your car was painted within the last 3 months or so, you can go ahead and do a total detail now.  Every new car I buy I do a clay and complete detail the day I bring it home.  Don't let the stealership touch it.  I wouldn't worry about the "warranty".  

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/411210/is-perma-plate-worth-the-cost

I visited two different Jeep dealerships that were totally unrelated and not even in the same county. They both have the same thing with the Perma Plate being pre-installed when you buy the car. I didn't pay for the warranty on it because I'm not stupid and it's a 3 year lease, but I was just curious as to what it is and if I clay and correct the paint to remove the DIS would it have any kind of negative effects. If it's any good then I wouldn't want to remove it, but if it's junk then who cares if it comes off.

I worked in the car business in sales and finance for about ten years so I can give you my 2 cents.  Each dealership has their own 'exterior paint protection' gimmick that they try to sell you in the finance office (I had to.....was part of my bonus).  They get you one of two ways.  The first is that they claim every car/truck on the lot has it and it's added to the dealer accessory part of the window sticker.  The pricing is totally up to them.  I've seen it listed at $299 up to $999 or more.  Now I can't speak for every dealership in the country but the ones that claim they all have it on them already are lying up their #(%*!  It's pure inflation to the price of the car.  The second option is for you to voluntarily purchase it in the finance office and factor it into your monthly payment.  All that happens is you make an appt to bring your car back to the dealership and the same minimum wage workers that scrubbed it with a dirty brush when you bought it will do it again and apply, via filthy cheap microfibers, some type of generic sealant.  Most usually have TONS of fillers to help hide blemishes in your paint but trust me, there is no paint correction going on with that.  LOL.  Again, if you buy this, 100% of it is pure dealer profit (referred to as back end gross).  I'd suggest you wash it with a car shampoo mixed with a few ounces of APC and watch PERMA-whatever disappear.  It's in no way even remotely close in quality to Adams or any other high end brand sealant.  

Ed nailed it.

I've been able to get my hands on various dealer paint protection products over the years. permaplate being among them. Whats in that bottle is no different that whats in a bottle of Liquid Paint Sealant, and in many cases its watered down or full of mineral spirits.

What carries the value is the warranty, but what most dealers won't get into is the fine print. There are a lot of things that instantly void that warranty and something as simple as not showing up at a regular pre-determined interval for another application is one of them. They're banking on you not honoring your end of it so they don't have to honor theirs. Not all dealers are horrible about this, but many are and sadly they're the rule, not the exception.

The warranty really amounts to an insurance policy the dealership leverages against your car, so if you do meet all the requirements and something happens thats covered its like an insurance claim and its fixed, but in all the years I've been in this business I've heard relatively few cases where the dealer protection package worked out in the customers favor.

Long story short - polishing will remove the sealant. claying will remove the sealant. time and exposure to the elements will remove the sealant. Since you didn't pay for the package I say strip that paint, correct it, and maintain it as you usually would.

Most dealer protection packages are cheap, but where I work, we will have Ceramic Pro 9H installed for you by an outside detailer. However, the price is also much higher than for Xzilon or PermaPlate or Auto Butler or similar.

Edited by SYMAWD

Thanks a lot guys for all the info. I never paid for that junk and it was never even suggested that I do because the sales manager is someone I know. I was just curious because they did have a little side sticker in addition to the window sticker that advertises the Perma Plate protection and warranty. I believe it was like $999 or something. Guess I feel bad for the suckers who buy this stuff. Gonna strip this badboy and let the "true blue" metallic paint get the face melting treatment.

BTW Shine Doc, nice to have you back sir!

Edited by tony97gt

Most dealer protection packages are cheap, but where I work, we will have Ceramic Pro 9H installed for you by an outside detailer. However, the price is also much higher than for Xzilon or PermaPlate or Auto Butler or similar.

and that's 9H? doesn't simmoniz have something similar called glasscoat? I thought they are ALL snake oil?

and that's 9H? doesn't simmoniz have something similar called glasscoat? I thought they are ALL snake oil?

Ceramic Pro 9H is like Cquartz, Opti-coat, etc. which are actually coatings that last several years.  Coatings do exist and Adam's is working on one too.  They are not snake oil.

Ceramic Pro 9H is like Cquartz, Opti-coat, etc. which are actually coatings that last several years.  Coatings do exist and Adam's is working on one too.  They are not snake oil.

interesting... even more interesting adams is working on one.

so it would be like the liquid paint sealant, but resin based like these and last over 2 years? lol

interesting... even more interesting adams is working on one.

so it would be like the liquid paint sealant, but resin based like these and last over 2 years? lol

No, it's a very thin product that is usually applied by wrapping a suede applicator around a foam block and then spreading in a cross hatch pattern.  There are a few other application styles though.  You only need 10-50 mL of product to protect a car.  How many coats, size of vehicle, etc. is why I listed such a big range of typical amount of product used.

And yes, 2+ years of protection is possible.  

Edited by SYMAWD

No, it's a very thin product that is usually applied by wrapping a suede applicator around a foam block and then spreading in a cross hatch pattern.  There are a few other application styles though.  You only need 10-50 mL of product to protect a car.  How many coats, size of vehicle, etc. is why I listed such a big range of typical amount of product used.

And yes, 2+ years of protection is possible.  

Crazy... never knew legit products like that existed. It will put things like liquid paint sealant out of production

Crazy... never knew legit products like that existed. It will put things like liquid paint sealant out of production

No it won't.  Applying them requires surgically clean paint and most likely you cannot keep your car swirl free for 2 years and of course if you want to polish it, the coating is now polished off too.  They are also more expensive and obviously not for everyone.

Coatings are not for everyone.  I use one because when I'm at college, I have no way of washing my car for months at a time, so when it's completely covered in salt, I don't need to worry quite as much.

Edited by SYMAWD

No it won't.  Applying them requires surgically clean paint and most likely you cannot keep your car swirl free for 2 years and of course if you want to polish it, the coating is now polished off too.  They are also more expensive and obviously not for everyone.

Coatings are not for everyone.  I use one because when I'm at college, I have no way of washing my car for months at a time, so when it's completely covered in salt, I don't need to worry quite as much.

My son is way at college too, and I applied coating on his car for the same reason.  It has been about 18 months and it still looks spectacular when I wash it when he is home.