Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to clean & dress your WHOLE sidewall

chops1sc

Question

This is a little tip I came up with (until someone else claims it, lol) for cleaning and dressing the whole sidewall of your tires without having to roll up a few feet to clean and then back again to dress.

I had some 2X4s laying around the shop, so I cut a 45 degree angle on one end and place one in front of each tire.

36023153495_42536836c5_z.jpgUntitled by Chris Dunlap, on Flickr

The plank is set in about 1-2" from the top of the sidewall. Then I drive up onto them. I usually get a little bit of a rolling start. :burnout:

You wont believe how hard it can be to just roll up them LOL! Oh, and don't forget to set your parking brake...

35889440241_05de156773_z.jpgUntitled by Chris Dunlap, on Flickr

Here you can see how they are set back from the sidewall.

36023153565_757b893750_z.jpgUntitled by Chris Dunlap, on Flickr

Now, I can clean & dress all the way under the tire!

Edited by chops1sc

21 answers to this question

I don't know about that, lol. Thanks though!

After looking at my last pic I think I will start using 2X6s or 2X8s. I don't like the way the rest of the tire is "hanging" there, LOL! It's probably not hurting anything, but the wider board might make it easier to drive up.

Edited by chops1sc

I remember those days all too well with my MK5 GLI, static....

LOL the Mk3 used to be so bad I had a stack of 2 2x8's tall and had to use a mini jack to get the car high enough up for the big jack.

Now it is much higher up. Control arms parallel and setup more for performance.

The CC is cake though. Air up, jack fits no problem. I love my air setup more and more every day.

LOL the Mk3 used to be so bad I had a stack of 2 2x8's tall and had to use a mini jack to get the car high enough up for the big jack.

Now it is much higher up. Control arms parallel and setup more for performance.

The CC is cake though. Air up, jack fits no problem. I love my air setup more and more every day.

Wife just got a leftover '14, Pure White JSW TDI DSG, loaded (Pano, Kessy, RNS315 Nav, SEL trim), 21 miles on it, last week.  Only thing missing is Bixenons (I'll swap them over soon, no LED DRL's so I don't have to swap to a Highline module), I have a set of MK7 Austins with tires I'm swapping over next week, and its going in for 15% all around.  Unfortunately she will probably stay at stock ride height, because let's be honest its the wifes car.  But the Austins alone will change the look.

But she will get Malone or APR/Revo Stage 1 on the TDI, we are already averaging 40 mpg on mixed driving, I'm soooooo happy we have a VW back in the family!  Find me on VWVortex I'm lurking under the same screen name in the JSW section and GolfMK6 forum as we share the same front end.

-J

Wife just got a leftover '14, Pure White JSW TDI DSG, loaded (Pano, Kessy, RNS315 Nav, SEL trim), 21 miles on it, last week.  Only thing missing is Bixenons (I'll swap them over soon, no LED DRL's so I don't have to swap to a Highline module), I have a set of MK7 Austins with tires I'm swapping over next week, and its going in for 15% all around.  Unfortunately she will probably stay at stock ride height, because let's be honest its the wifes car.  But the Austins alone will change the look.

But she will get Malone or APR/Revo Stage 1 on the TDI, we are already averaging 40 mpg on mixed driving, I'm soooooo happy we have a VW back in the family!  Find me on VWVortex I'm lurking under the same screen name in the JSW section and GolfMK6 forum as we share the same front end.

-J

I love JSW's. I wouldn't mind one at all for a daily. Although I have trouble leaving cars alone long enough to daily them full time ;)

Malone tune would be the way to go. APR just sucks in general. Never had good experiences with their tunes and I really distrust them after VW called them out on selling bunk parts recently. Personally I am a Unitronic guy or GIAC depending on what I am doing. GIAC for cars that I leave the emissions equiptment in. Uni for  anything that is a swap car.

Same SN on vortex here too. Usually in the Corrado forum or Mk3 forum. I never post in the CC forums... to many idiots in there.

LOL, I searched for this topic yesterday. Thought maybe some detail company made a setup but the closest thing I found was flat stoppers and they are too expensive so I built a set out of 2 x 4s !

Had no idea this post was here.

I have not tried them out yet. Looks like they work.  Cool.

Back when I used spray-on tire dressing.....I had 4 pieces of cardboard that I drove the vehicle on to.....kept me from getting those 'smiles' on my asphalt driveway

LOL! I had a lot of those at my old house!

Back when I used spray-on tire dressing.....I had 4 pieces of cardboard that I drove the vehicle on to.....kept me from getting those 'smiles' on my asphalt driveway

Omg brings back memories of 15-20 years ago when I helped my dad wash my mom's car and his car on a Sunday - we would dry the car (with bath towels of course) - then when done he would drive into the caul-de-sac and park the car, and spray on the popular Tire Wet foamy aerosol dressing and wipe it in with a rag, then move the car another 3 feet and get the spots he missed, let it sit a few mins and drive it back into our driveway and in the garage.

I think he even brought the cardboard up to the street so he wouldn't get oil smileys on the street lol -