Customer Service 866.965.0400

DIY LED light build

mc2hill

Question

We have learned proper lighting is important when chasing swirls. I have been using a pair of 500w halogen lamps on a stand for several years. These work great, and are nice to be around in the winter, but they are brutal in the warmer months. I have seen the LED work lights (pic below) with a similar setup. They are much cooler to work around, but the light is not as bright as the halogens and do not show imperfections as well.

8712.jpg

I have seen a few different DIY LED light stand builds on other forums, and after seeing Sizzle Chest’s setup I decided to give it a try. Most of the parts are fairly inexpensive, using lightweight photography equipment, but the bulbs are pricey!

I started with a stand that included a carrying bag - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DYHRH4?

psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

31f6rrtWo9L.jpg

This stand has a minimum height of 53”, and a maximum of 100”. It works great for hoods, roofs, and trunks, but just OK for sides. For that reason I am looking at 2 other stands:

This one that has a minimum of 33”, max of 80” - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PEUA30/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2W8PMFWAIX1V2&coliid=I2S0K4VP91Z62V&psc=1

41IHh8p%2B7NL.jpg

Or this one that is much shorter – Min 17”, max 40”

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Collapsible-Aluminium-Photography-Portrait/dp/B00X5GCG12/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1433004584&sr=1-5

31ahO3TGEqL._SX425_.jpg

The second stand includes a ‘stud’ that is attached to the lower leg to allow a second light head to be attached. The downside is the stud must be removed to collapse the stand. There are clamps available to allow you to mount a light head almost anywhere and if I go with the first stand I would add one of these – http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00355GFMO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2W8PMFWAIX1V2&coliid=IB3IMSHH6UKOR

41W83xvwKaL._SX425_.jpg

The light ‘head’ is the simple part. It is a double mount bracket, with an on/off switch for each lamp, and a short 9’ cord. This just slides over the top of the stand and is tightened down. There are other fiddly bits on the bracket, but as I am not a photographer, I have no idea what they are for.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZUVX8G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2W8PMFWAIX1V2&coliid=I1UB3VZ74Z4A4V

51qX-jzCaCL._SX425_.jpg

So far so good, less than $30 (light head $10.99 + stand $15.99).

Now about the light bulbs: There are lots and lots of different types of LED light bulbs out there but to replicate the sun you need a daylight bulb – somewhere around 5000 kelvin on the color temp scale.

kelvin-temp.jpg

I was able to find my bulb at Lowe’s, but it seems to be an item they are discontinuing –

http://www.lowes.com/pd_150661-75774-LPAR3814005KLEDG5___?productId=50107550&pl=1&Ntt=led+par38+daylight

017801998665lg.jpg

It is a size PAR38, 23W (120W equivalent), 5000K, Daylight, Dimmable floodlight bulb. The only store in my area that carried them was the near my house and I picked up 4. Even on ‘closeout’ they were $25.99 EACH! The upside to these bulbs is they have a life of 25,000 hours, so unless you break them, they should last a long, long time.

Speaking of breaking them, this setup is very top heavy. The first time I used it I had the stand set at about 6’, bumped into it, and it fell on to the trunk of the A8 I was polishing! After a few choice words, my stomach dropped when I saw white marks on the paint! The heat fins from the bulb had marked the paint. Luckily it was just paint transfer and was quickly removed with the polisher, with no further damage to the car or the lights. After that I decided to look for a simple fix and found it at a local thrift store:

Discarded ankle weights!

0070255600070_500X500.jpg

I paid $3 for one at the thrift store, but they are about $17 new (I bought a pair when I got tired of driving around to the Goodwill’s).  This is one I found (they only had one), and it easily fits over the upright part of the stand, and provides just enough weight to offset the bulbs. I removed 2 of the weight packs, so it is probably at 4 pounds. The plus with these is they wrap around the light stand when it is folded. 

post-1109-0-76327600-1435878620_thumb.jpg

So now we are up to $80

Stand          $15.99

Light head    10.99

2 LED bulbs  50.00

Weights           3.00

Not too bad and much cheaper than a pair of the LED work lights with a stand.

Here is what you get:

post-1109-0-00129000-1435878786_thumb.jpg

So how well do they work?

A shot of both lights on full: The halogen mounting bracket puts them farther apart than the LED bracket, but that is not really an issue:

post-1109-0-29486500-1435878820_thumb.jpg

LED:

post-1109-0-40854500-1435879225_thumb.jpg

post-1109-0-57477300-1435879262_thumb.jpg

Halogen:

post-1109-0-06920700-1435879105_thumb.jpg

post-1109-0-60097700-1435879307_thumb.jpg

Why are they better then Halogens?

Front of lights

post-1109-0-68956800-1435879620_thumb.jpg

vs.

post-1109-0-05192400-1435879738_thumb.jpg

Now the temp at the back:

post-1109-0-07063500-1435879863_thumb.jpg

vs.

post-1109-0-92074800-1435879991_thumb.jpg

Other options:

You could add a boom to put the light over a flat surface (hood, roof, etc.)  

31QZbfEbvmL._SX425_.jpg

Conclusions:

I really enjoy working with the LED lights. They are more comfortable to work around, and I prefer the whiter light they produce.  I think they show more defects too.

They also draw less power, so no more worry about tripping a fuse when using the lights and the polisher.

Please feel free to ask questions or suggest improvements. I am not a photographer, nor an electrical engineer, so there are probably better ways to do this!

100% making one of these! 

Bulbs cheaper anywhere else?

Maybe online somewhere or by the case (4 bulbs in a case) .  I believe the Lowe's bulb I purchased were made by FEIT.  

Just a warning to anyone that builds this setup...

...it will make you cry after it exposes every little defect imaginable.

LOL, very true!  I thought the halogens showed a lot until I fired this one up.   

When I first used them, I was showing them off to my neighbor and turned them on the rear quarter of the car I was polishing.  There was an 'oh crap' moment with all the scratches that showed up.

followed a similar write up about a year ago and best setup to find even the smallest of defects.

Sweet setup Gary!  That stand looks to be a much beefier one than the 'base' model I have.

Wow...you were reading my mind (yes, scary...)! The hubby and I were just talking about how to find the best light for polishing and you go and post this excellent thread. Thanks, guy! :bow:

Wow...you were reading my mind (yes, scary...)! The hubby and I were just talking about how to find the best light for polishing and you go and post this excellent thread. Thanks, guy! :bow:

Thanks Jacki.  Let us know how your build goes.

However, I will warn you these lights are a doubled-edged swords - you see all the defects, but you can see ALL the defects!    90% with these are very close to 100% in the sun.

I used the lights the past two weekends for headlights on cars, and I wish my stand went a little bit lower.  I will order a 2nd stand soon.

I used the lights the past two weekends for headlights on cars, and I wish my stand went a little bit lower.  I will order a 2nd stand soon.

That's the benefit of the boom. Swing it down and and its gets lower then the rocker panels. Also very handy for extending over the hood and pointing straight down

LED's are really bright. My wife brought home a new overhead kitchen light for me to put up Monday.  I had no idea how bright it was and thought it couldn't be brighter than the light we had there with two round flourescents in it.  Let me tell you.  When I hit that switch once I got it up.................we both jumped!  That thing is the brightest white light I've ever seen.  

Now after reading this post, I think I'm going to replace my lights in the garage.  Great light. 

And you have a great setup!! 

Waiting for delivery of my "kit".  It gets REAL hot in my garage during the summer.

Then you will really enjoy the LED's.  I worked right beside it last weekend while sanding some headlights, and could not feel any heat coming off it (the air temp hotter than the light!).  

Then you will really enjoy the LED's.  I worked right beside it last weekend while sanding some headlights, and could not feel any heat coming off it (the air temp hotter than the light!).  

Can't wait.  My halogens are brutal, and during the summer, temps in my garage exceed 100*.

Edited by 69supersport396

Michael, thanks for the DIY! I usually don't make a big deal over this stuff, but this is simple, inexpensive, and does not generate much heat. Might sell my halogen lights.

I can adjust height a bit more sliding the legs up and down too.

Thanks again.

Thanks Rick!  And yes, it is a nice upgrade from the halogens.  I will probably keep mine for the warmth in the cooler months!