Customer Service 866.965.0400

Welcome to our 10th episode of Ask The Shine Doc and a question that I'm sure has been asked more than any other: "How do I clean my wash pads/buffing pads/applicator pads/etc". Proper maintenance of your detailing accessories ensures maximum performance and longevity of your investment. The good news is that all thats usually required is a hose and All Purpose Clenaer to keep your accessories looking their best.

Don't forget to submit your detailing questions to shinedoc@adamspolishes.com

If we choose to answer your question in our weekly video series you'll get a $25 gift card to AdamsPolishes.com

IN THIS VIDEO: All Purpose Cleaner   |   32oz Dilution Bottle

Gen5 Polishing Pads   |   Block Sponge   |   Hex Grip Applicator

Professional Wash Pad   |   Grit Guard Insert   |   Wash Wedge

It's still a good question. I hang my wash pad over the edge of a bucket and lay the wash wedge on it for at least an hour in the sun sometimes because the wedge especially seems to take like almost a week to dry otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Great video, Dylan. Answers many of my questions.

Here's how I dry wash pads:  I use a clip-style hanger, attach one clip in the middle of the pad, separate the layers to make a sort of "diamond" shape, and hang over a bucket to catch the drips. Separating the layers seems to be the key - I find the pads dry in a day or less, depending on the air temp.

post-12033-0-89865000-1438345683_thumb.jpg

To allow the APC to do its job, I spray each pad while working in APC and set each one aside, then I grab the first one and rinse. I find by letting them soak for a minute or two it really makes rinsing go faster. My .05 adjusted for inflation.

Does everyone clean their tire shine applicators?

I have to admit... I purchase another brands tire shine foam apps. From a bald bird that comes before two. I get two half moon apps for $3 at Pep Boys.

So I just use them until they are nasty and then just toss.

And while i do have some Adams foam blocks I haven't yet used them but would have thought to wash them if I used them in tires.

Am I totally crazy?

I like the Blocks since they are cheap enough to be disposable.  And I don't like half moon apps since I'm always working on low profile tires, and with the 2 different sides they double on larger tires.

I give mine a spray down with APC or my diluted MFR 3:1, hot water rinse and squeeze a couple times to get 90% water out, then, take about 4-5 paper towels, and actually SQUEEZE it tightly against the towels, and it will get most of the remaining "black goo" out of the app.  Do it a couple times until you get most of the black out.  Then the apps are ready to reuse (although they will be stained)

I clean the Blocks after every 2nd use just so they don't get too gummed up, do it with Red interior Leather Conditioner apps as well