Customer Service 866.965.0400

Convertible top care

bobfred44

Question

I need advise regarding the care of my convertible to on my Saturn SKY. I noticed many in the forum have Corvette convertibles so this may be the best place for advise. My SKY is garage kept and covered in the winter. My issue is when I detail and wash the car. Maybe Adams products are too good because the car itself is outstanding after the detailing/washing. The top just does not look outstanding as the car. I have used both Ragg Topp and Product 303 to condition and wash the top. Are any of the Adams products good to use after each wash to give it the same "look at me" statement as the car? What about Adams Leather Conditioner?

Thanks.

23 answers to this question

Easy solution - leave the top down, it's a convertible.

I have a light oak top on my Corvette that the previous owner allowed to get grubby. Using APC & upholstery cleaner I have it pretty clean, but with all the scrubbing the material now looks a bit worn. So I would suggest not scrub any more than you need to, and leave it down.

Bruce

For the cloth tops the only products on the market I know of are 303 and Rag Top. Those come in a kit with both a cleaner AND a sealer. If it is vinyl then it should be easy, APC followed by VRT :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do you use a stiff carpet brush when cleaning it ? I've read that some people will use one when cleaning to kind of "brush" out the streaks. But use with caution as I have only read about it, never done it or seen it done.

But I can't see how it would hurt, I would just brush against the direction of the streak :xfingers:

Easy solution - leave the top down, it's a convertible.

I have a light oak top on my Corvette that the previous owner allowed to get grubby. Using APC & upholstery cleaner I have it pretty clean, but with all the scrubbing the material now looks a bit worn. So I would suggest not scrub any more than you need to, and leave it down.

Bruce

I have a tan top on my C6. It came from the factory with those "shadow lines." I have tried Rag top cleaner and it did absolutely nothing. I have heard others who have the tan top say the same thing. Next time I buy a rag top, it will have a black top.

I'm watching this thread friends, and we have been testing solutions for this for over a year.

It's a delicate fabric actually, so he cleaners that are needed to get the dirt of the fibers of the canvas need to be gentle.

The only way we have found to clean the top effectively, and completely, is to use a steamer, like this one:

http://vapor-systems.com/products/t730a.html

I realize that's a tall order to clean a canvas top, but that's the only thing we have found to be effective thus far.

Stay tuned . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .:thumbsup:

I need advise regarding the care of my convertible to on my Saturn SKY. I noticed many in the forum have Corvette convertibles so this may be the best place for advise. My SKY is garage kept and covered in the winter. My issue is when I detail and wash the car. Maybe Adams products are too good because the car itself is outstanding after the detailing/washing. The top just does not look outstanding as the car. I have used both Ragg Topp and Product 303 to condition and wash the top. Are any of the Adams products good to use after each wash to give it the same "look at me" statement as the car? What about Adams Leather Conditioner?

Thanks.

All due respect to Adam and the product, the best by far I have used in restoration or preservation of convertible tops is Hartz Ragg Top cleaner and preserver. It is recommended for care of Corvette convewrtible tops and I'm sure the Sky top would be similar. BTW are you coming to the Adams Clinic at Grabiak Performance Center in New Alexandria, PA? You could get some there.:cheers:

All due respect to Adam and the product, the best by far I have used in restoration or preservation of convertible tops is Hartz Ragg Top cleaner and preserver. It is recommended for care of Corvette convewrtible tops and I'm sure the Sky top would be similar. BTW are you coming to the Adams Clinic at Grabiak Performance Center in New Alexandria, PA? You could get some there.:cheers:

Yep, will be there. Thanks for the advice. I do have the Ragg Top system.

Yep, will be there. Thanks for the advice. I do have the Ragg Top system.

Update regarding the rag top. As I mentioned, the top is almost new but it did not have the "WOW" effect after washing the SKY using all Adams products. On the top, I have treated it with Product 303 and have always used the 303 cleaner that comes with the system. Well, yesterday I just used the Adams soap on the entire car, using the foaming gun. It needs to be noted, I applied the soap on the convertible top. Well, that WOW effect happened. It made such a difference, the entire call now looks great. Simple solution. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Update regarding the rag top. As I mentioned, the top is almost new but it did not have the "WOW" effect after washing the SKY using all Adams products. On the top, I have treated it with Product 303 and have always used the 303 cleaner that comes with the system. Well, yesterday I just used the Adams soap on the entire car, using the foaming gun. It needs to be noted, I applied the soap on the convertible top. Well, that WOW effect happened. It made such a difference, the entire call now looks great. Simple solution. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

What mixture did you use for the foam gun i.e. wash to H2O?:confused:

I fill it a little over half with water then two full squeezes of the car wash. Swish it around, don't shake it up. You'll be good to go :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I fill it a little over half with water then two full squeezes of the car wash. Swish it around, don't shake it up. You'll be good to go :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bill would you amplify what you mean "2 squeezes". Could you indicate the proportion perhaps. Thanx Rad.

I'm watching this thread friends, and we have been testing solutions for this for over a year.

It's a delicate fabric actually, so he cleaners that are needed to get the dirt of the fibers of the canvas need to be gentle.

The only way we have found to clean the top effectively, and completely, is to use a steamer, like this one:

http://vapor-systems.com/products/t730a.html

I realize that's a tall order to clean a canvas top, but that's the only thing we have found to be effective thus far.

Stay tuned . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .:thumbsup:

I have never thought of a steamer as a cleaner for my rag tops. Adam, I assume I would just draw (gently pull) the wand across the fabric? Would I then use Raggtopp cleaner & sealer? I have used ADAMS car wash (with one of the Raggtopp brushes) and then Raggtop sealer. I have never used the ADAMS carpet cleaner thinking it might take to much rubbing. Anymore advice???

Bill would you amplify what you mean "2 squeezes". Could you indicate the proportion perhaps. Thanx Rad.

I wish I could :lolsmack:

I just point the bottle in the water and squeeze until it stops coming out then do it again. I'll try measuring this weekend or even better I'll shoot a small video :rockon:

I just point the bottle in the water and squeeze until it stops coming out then do it again. I'll try measuring this weekend or even better I'll shoot a small video :rockon:

when you say two sqeezes, is that with the cap totally off or with the cap with that small piece that pops up with the little hole in it?

and before anyone says anything, i mean the cap with the little hole in it.:lolsmack:

I just pour about 1/4 of Adams soap and the fill the container up to the half way mark with water. No exact science at all. It work for me and I have one of the foaming guns with on the "A" setting until Adams sends me the replacement. Good luck.

Thanx-Rad:2thumbs:

when you say two sqeezes, is that with the cap totally off or with the cap with that small piece that pops up with the little hole in it?

and before anyone says anything, i mean the cap with the little hole in it.:lolsmack:

That is with the cap still on, it really doesn't take a ton of Adam's car wash to make a whole bunch of foam :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs: