Customer Service 866.965.0400

washing towels for a beginner

bewbzout

Question

Well I'm assuming most of you don't do a load of towels until you have say at least 10 towels to put in the wash? Is hand washing in a bucket of water and detail spray a good option for me until I get more towels?

I wouldn't use detail spray in your bucked to wash towels...

APC would be fine though.

I wash all my doubles, singles, waffle weaves together. 

I wash all my interiors/utilities together.

I use Member's Mark for wheels and dirty stuff and usually just chunk those when done. 

Buying more towels helps :) 

I use All! Free & Clear. I put a little in pre-wash and ALWAYS use an extra rinse. I searched a good bit and that was pretty unanimous across other detailing sites. Otherwise people were using microfiber specific detergent in their pre wash. Do your research and find what works for you. 

Edited by stripesace

Well, others may disagree but I usually wash all of my microfiber towels together with just Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener, and I know Dave (BRZN) does too. He's kinda sorta been my Mr. Miyagi to my Daniel-son, so I know his methods work!

Unless I have some severely dirty towels or a handful that I've used for H2O Guard & Gloss or Liquid Paint Sealant - in those cases, I will soak those towels separately before putting them in the washer.

Here's a great post from Dave: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/29000-microfiber-washing-to-avoid-cross-contamination/?p=455587

I also wash my towels the same way, pre-soak if they are really dirty.

The MFR can get expensive if you're washing towels often. I pre soak in oxi clean (which I have anyway) and wash with regular HE detergent. Add a second rinse to the cycle and throw in some white vinegar with the second rinse.

More towels = Less loads = Less detergent and total water use = $$$ Saved...See how that works right there, now you can tell the wife you need to buy more stuff to save money. 

My 0.02 here, I am MOSTLY with Dan and Dave here, I wash all but my Rim cleaning towels and any metal polish pads (Not buffing towels) together, thou usually I dont have a towel for the rims as I use the wheel woolie for 99% of my cleaning. As I do these so infrequently it doesnt bother me to do the separate load of them. 

I do use the MFR now, I didnt in the past and the plan for me is to do it every 2-3 loads, I use Tide HE Free and clear (or whatever its called) I only occasionally use the vinegar in the rinse cycle as I was told on here not to do it every load. Now that I also HAVE the MFR I do plan to start soaking all my towels in it ahead of time as mentioned in the microfiber care thread with the inverted grit guard to hold the towels down. Just need to get the proper bucket setup going for it. 

I've always used tide free and gentle (the white bottle w/o additives/scents) to clean mine since before adams had the MFR. Since coming out with that, I usually use it 50/50 in the washer with the tide

I've always done all of my towels in one wash and haven't had a problem. I never have any super dirty towels to wash, from say wheel liners or wiping down undercarrage/frame as I just use the cheapo chinese microfibers I find at the autoparts stores or swap meets, and then when they're saturated I just toss them in a bin in the garage for parts cleaning or whatever other general shop work I have. 

I follow Dave's regimen pretty much - I wash all of them together (extra soiled towels are pre-soaked and pre-rinsed in my slop sink with a 3:1 dilution of MFR so they are fairly clean before they go in) but my towels are used for certain tasks, for example I wouldnt wipe wheels with a Double Soft then go use it on my paint, etc.

I also wanted to note that what is very helpful is to fill up your washer tub with the 2-3 oz of MFR and warm water, and leave the top of the washer OPEN and just let the towels soak for an hour or so if you have the time, it really helps to just let them soak and sit, before starting the wash cycle, really helps let the grime come out of the towels on their own.

I also wait to do a load until I have a large amount of towels, I haven't done any MF washing in 2 months, and have about 40 towels ready to go in tonight

I also wait to do a load until I have a large amount of towels, I haven't done any MF washing in 2 months, and have about 40 towels ready to go in tonight

I'd be interested in any details about how you store the dirty towels for 2 months. I'd like to do the same.

I'd be interested in any details about how you store the dirty towels for 2 months. I'd like to do the same.

Basically something similar to this - I hang the damp towels over the edges for a day or two till they dry, then toss in the basket, its hanging off my garage shelf - Mine is a bit different and deeper but you get the concept, its an open aired basket that holds the towels and isn't air tight so they dry while they are waiting to be washed - I actually had so many towels to wash I had to do 2 loads yesterday, it might have been closer to 3 months since I did MF wash - and I know it drives some of you guys crazy LOL

81bAUz%2BgwcL._SY355_.jpg

My concern is if there is any legitimate concern that stains will "set in" being stored for several months before cleaning.

When it comes "machine wash time" are you doing anything special prior to washing?

I am about to start the theory of "storing" dirty towels in a bucket filled with water and a couple ounces of MFR with the inverted grit gaurd on top to hold them into the water. I plan to use a gamma seal lead on a bucket for this to help keep the evaporation to a minimum. 

My concern is if there is any legitimate concern that stains will "set in" being stored for several months before cleaning.

When it comes "machine wash time" are you doing anything special prior to washing?

Presoak any staining with the 3:1 dilution of MFR as I mentioned, most will come out.  Storing the towels will not let the stains set any more whether it sits for 1 day or 30 days.  If you are concerned about stains you should be pre-treating the towels that have stains and pre-rinsing them out immediately after use.  Some types of stains like the G&G staining is hard to avoid - I tend to buy neutral color towels and mild stains dont bother me as much  - I am more concerned about my towels being clean.  Which is also why I avoid white towels because the staining becomes distracting.

I am about to start the theory of "storing" dirty towels in a bucket filled with water and a couple ounces of MFR with the inverted grit gaurd on top to hold them into the water. I plan to use a gamma seal lead on a bucket for this to help keep the evaporation to a minimum. 

I have done this for a week or so at a time with no problems. (Although in the back of my mind I wonder how long a towel can soak before any ill effects.)

Ricky Bobby's comment on pre-treating and pre-rinsing on an as needed basis immediately after use makes a lot of sense. Presumably than can then air dry and be saved up for a machine wash, 

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Adams forum, but not new to Adams products. 

Here's my question: When washing microfiber towels do you add regular detergent  plus the revitalizer or just the revitalizer. I've used Adams car wash on my towels, but have just received the revitalizer.