Customer Service 866.965.0400

Liquid paint sealant reappeared

RacerX

Question

Folks - about a month ago I applied Liquid Paint Sealant to one of my cars.  It looked great when I was finished.  About 3 weeks later, the sealant "reappeared" in several spots around the car.  The portion that reappeared is almost like a dust - you can wipe it away with your finger.

Did I put it on too thick, wait too long, not wait long enough?

Here is a photo of what I saw:

post-13168-0-61195900-1447603681_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

My initial guess would be that it was a little heavier in those spots and simply didn't get wiped thoroughly.  You didn't mention how you applied it.

LPS on Silver and White is especially tricky as it is hard to see when wiping it off.  I own both a silver and a white car and it always catches me by surprise when I walk by one of those cars much later and catch a spot that I missed.  

- Darryl

I don't like to admit it, but one time I forgot to wipe down the front bumper on my uncle's pearl white Silverado. I looked at the bumper the next morning with my head tilted sideways thinking "that looks odd...oh...oops..." so I agree that it can be difficult to see all of the LPS residue to remove. For doors especially, I will put my spotlights at the back of the car, and look down the whole side of the car at various heights to make sure I didn't miss wiping off any spots. Every so often I will have spots just like your picture where my hand failed to operate how my brain intended :)

It was applied by hand with a microfiber pad and removed by hand with double soft towels.

It is definitely difficult to see this color (I'll call it pewter) under the shop lights.  I was thinking about testing some colored (perhaps red or blue) lights to see if they worked better with this color of paint.

But in the case of this vehicle - it was taken out of the shop and driven for the next few weeks.  It was definitely spotless at first.  The only significant change was that the temperature dropped about 20 degrees (from the 70s to the 50s) a few days before I noticed the spots appear.

The stuff that reappeared was easily removed - as I said above, it was just a "dusty" residue.

I guess I'll just shrug it off for now and wait until next time to try it again and see how it goes.  Maybe I just need to rub more...

Any missed residue is harder to see when it is fresh.  I have found that after a few weeks, it dries out and then you can see it easier.

Same thing if any accidently gets on the trim, the residue is often hard to see until it dries out a few weeks later.

I've found that my dual 500 watt halogen spot lights work best for silver and white cars. I will put them on the lower power setting for brightness, and either put them right in front of the car or right behind the car, at the headlight or taillight, and adjust it to about that height as well. Then I will look all sorts of goofy like a baseball catcher doing all sorts of odd left-right-up-down stretches as I'm looking down the car to make sure I removed all wax or polish. I do this with the garage doors closed, since it makes things easier without any sunlight glaring in, and so my neighbor doesn't think I'm practicing some sort of detailing kung fu :ph34r:

I'm thinking your "catcher" routine would make a great addition to the Adam's line of instructional videos, Dan...  :D

Just experienced this leftover dust on my snow white pearl-colored car. Applied the PS with a PC, then removed - OK, mostly removed - with a SST. Should I have used a DST, or maybe multiple? Would a slightly damp towel help catch the dust better? Maybe use DS:help:

I'm thinking your "catcher" routine would make a great addition to the Adam's line of instructional videos, Dan...  :D

Just experienced this leftover dust on my snow white pearl-colored car. Applied the PS with a PC, then removed - OK, mostly removed - with a SST. Should I have used a DST, or maybe multiple? Would a slightly damp towel help catch the dust better? Maybe use DS:help:

Anyone?! Small issue, but any advice welcome...thanks!

Folks - about a month ago I applied Liquid Paint Sealant to one of my cars.  It looked great when I was finished.  About 3 weeks later, the sealant "reappeared" in several spots around the car.  The portion that reappeared is almost like a dust - you can wipe it away with your finger.

Did I put it on too thick, wait too long, not wait long enough?

Here is a photo of what I saw:

attachicon.gifIMG_2371b.jpg

When this happens to me I just use a spray on wax...any will do the trick, spray the area and it will moisten it right up for easy removal.