Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Product Idea: Emergency Roadside Kit

kesmit

Question

I've been wanting to put a small pouch of detailing products in each of my vehicles for those times when you are out and about and you need to clean off a bird bomb, bugs, soda spill, etc. and it just can't wait until you get home.  I don't like having to carry around full-size bottles of products; I just need a small amount to keep in place for "emergencies."

I was thinking that having a pouch with a 4oz bottle each of detail spray, waterless wash, leather/interior cleaner, and glass cleaner along with one single soft (or borderless gray) towel and one or two utility towels.  That should be enough to tide you over for most road trips.

I'm sure if I dug around enough I could find the bottles and a decent pouch, but if the Adam's team could do it for me, I'm sure it would come out much more elegantly.  Put me down for 3 when they become available!  :)

12 answers to this question

That is really close, and may be the starting point for making one of my own.  I don't know that tire shine and h2o guard are something I would always keep with me.  Finding a nice pouch that holds everything snuggly and organized is going to be the trickier part.

Know anyone handy with a sewing machine? I've got a few sketches... just need to take the time to make some patterns, cut 'em out and sew it together. 

But yes. the Sample Pack is intended to be both a sample pack as well as a "roadside" kit. I poured the gloss and guard into a 16oz bottle, and "relabeled" the bottle to an additional bottle of waterless wash. :) I need an extra pour top and then it'll be 4oz bottle of sVRT.

The 4 bottle bag is another great offering for more full size bottles and few towels. 

And what? not everyone puts tire shine on their tires when they get to work? 

Edited by stripesace

That's a great idea Kevin! I've always carried around my own Adam's detailing emergency kit in my vehicles during spring/summer/fall, but it's usually with 16oz bottles. Other than the elastic bottle holder loops being too large for the 4oz bottles, our Red Strap 4 Bottle Show Bag would be great to hold a bunch of 4oz bottles and then stuff a few nicely rolled microfiber towels on top of them to keep the bottles secure. I will pass the idea along to see if we could offer it as a kit :)

Edit: Ha! John submitted his response right before I finished typing mine!

I think it would be easy enough to make happen out of the sample kit, just trade out the products in the bottles for what you need, and I think if you add the small bag you should be all set, put the box and the towels in the small bag and bingo all in handy carry all bags. 

I think it would be easy enough to make happen out of the sample kit, just trade out the products in the bottles for what you need, and I think if you add the small bag you should be all set, put the box and the towels in the small bag and bingo all in handy carry all bags. 

The more I think about it.  I think I'd like something a bit more compact than that.  I'm thinking something that might fit in the armrest storage in many vehicles.  I'm going to head to the office supply store and look for some sort of zippered organizer that might be able to hold 4 bottles and a couple of towels.  I may have to downside the bottles to 3oz or so.

Something like this would be good for professional detailers as well as an up-sell.  They could sell it to people who get detail jobs and may want to handle these little emergencies between full details.  I think the packaging would have to be very elegant to pull it off though.

The Prototype

After looking around for a nice zippered case, it dawned on me that CD cases are really close to the size that I'm looking for.  So I went to the local Hastings and found a 72 CD case that looked like it would hold everything I wanted.

I found some "2 oz" spray bottles at the grocery store (they actually hold closer to 3 oz).  Squeezing four in was a bit tight, so I decided to scrap the glass cleaner.  Either detail spray or waterless wash could be used for glass anyway.  I cut the CD sleeves out of the case, folded the microfibers in thirds, and placed everything in the case.  I used some cheap sandwich bags to hold each of the towels and to store them in after they've been used.  

The final touch would be to add some elastic straps to hold things in place so they don't fall out when you open it.  It's a bit big to put in a glove box, but it should fit under most seats.  Getting it down to a single-width CD would be preferable, but that would require some smaller towels.  Overall, I think this might work.

post-13719-0-43045000-1452194921_thumb.jpg

post-13719-0-57707600-1452194923_thumb.jpg

The Final Version

I sewed some elastic straps into the CD case that I had shown previously.  There wasn't a good spot to sew to in the spine, so I used some hairpins (which worked surprisingly well) to hold the elastic down in the fold.  I also added some simple labels to the bottles, and viola!

post-13719-0-17099200-1452458576_thumb.jpg

With everything reorganized, I was able to get the fourth bottle back in.  I also added a travel toothbrush to handle spot scrubbing.  The only thing I think I would like to change would be to get a smaller utility towel.  I'd rather have two small ones rather than one full size one.

The full kit is for my Z4, but I wanted a smaller one for the truck and daily driver.  I weaned the cleaners down to two: a waterless wash known to work well on interiors as well, and a fabric cleaner (since the truck has cloth seats).  Again, I'd like to get a smaller utility towel because the full size towel takes up quite a bit of space.

post-13719-0-15010600-1452458584_thumb.jpg

post-13719-0-37666600-1452458585_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results, but as with any emergency kit, I always want one handy but I hope I don't have to use it often.

Great updates to it. I would just cut the utility towels then if you want the smaller ones...

As for the newer smaller kit, I might be more inclined to keep detail spray as it is in the same family as the glass cleaner so you can use it inside and on the glass, it also can work on the paint. Keeps you down to one bottle if you want. If you still want the fabric one then you are still good to go.