Customer Service 866.965.0400

new paint correction video

lljimll

Question

I just watched the new video and have a question about the foam pads. I see in the new video adam does not use detail spray with the products. Is the new 8 oz size products reformulated to not need the spray on the pad. Thanks

25 answers to this question

I remember the older video adam was just about to apply the product and then stopped and said I almost forgot to apply the detail spray. That is why I thought it might be needed with the product. I am fairly new to this and just want to get it right. Thanks

Edited by lljimll

The videos also show a very expedited process as well. I imagine this was to maintain everyone's attention span, but polishing someting as quickly as it was demonstrated in the video would not net the results show. You still need to follow the directions on the bottles for the correct number of passes. 

Yes I understand it will take a few passes to get good results.(i know this new video showed it real quick)The spray thing is what through me off a little. One other question, should i also spray the microfiber pad or just the foam pads

Edited by lljimll

So, next gen(gen 6?) pads are coming out soon? Looks like wavy pads with a center hole in them.

I noticed this too, the pads look like a hybrid of the Gen 4 & Gen 5 pads without the rubber backing........is there going to be a Gen 6 pad release anytime soon?

I was wondering how many people would catch that. While priming the pads with a quick shot of Detail Spray is recommended, it's not 100% necessary when first starting to polish the panel, but I like to. On the next panel I might only add one or two drops of polish instead of 3 or 4. Then after I have some polish built up in the pad from a few sections of the vehicle, I will give another quick spray of Detail Spray onto the pad to re-prime the polish that is already in the pad and keep on working.

We shot that video fairly late in the evening after a very long day of shooting many others and we were all a little tired. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm fairly new to the paint correction process, but why did he use and microfiber cutting pad and then an orange foam cutting pad? From what I have learned reading forums and watching multiple videos, is typically one cutting pad does the job. Whether it be the microfiber, or the foam. Does this just achieve better results? :)

The microfiber pad is the most aggressive cutting pad and he stepped down to the plain orange cutting pad which would be one step less aggressive. This should in concept remove or greatly reduce the heavy swirl introduced by the microfiber pad.

Thank you very much!!! That makes perfect sense!!!

Vince,

One additional thing to remember is to start with a small "test area" and start off using the least aggressive combination of pad and polish to see if you get the results you are after.

If the orange foam removes all of the swirls, scratches, etc. then there would be no need to use the orang microfiber pad.

You always want to use the least aggressive pad, polish on any finish, it makes the whole process, easier and simpler to accomplish, if you really don't need to use all of the various pads and polishes to get your desired results.  

And I'll add that Adam went straight to the microfiber cutting pad because the paint on that rental Yukon was hammered :o

Did y'all get a discount on the rental for returning it in better condition than the day they bought it?? Lol

Edited by James__

Vince,

One additional thing to remember is to start with a small "test area" and start off using the least aggressive combination of pad and polish to see if you get the results you are after.

If the orange foam removes all of the swirls, scratches, etc. then there would be no need to use the orang microfiber pad.

You always want to use the least aggressive pad, polish on any finish, it makes the whole process, easier and simpler to accomplish, if you really don't need to use all of the various pads and polishes to get your desired results.

Perfect! Thats great information. Thank you!!

I have used an orange foam pad on my sisters car.. Wasn't too bad so the foam did the trick! But now that I have learned this information, it makes perfect sense as to why Adam used the microfiber then the foam. Poor rental cars! That rental company better have paid Adam's when they got that bad boy back after the love it got!! It looks amazing!

Thank you very much for all the great information! ????????????

That rental company better have paid Adam's when they got that bad boy back after the love it got!! It looks amazing!

They probably didn't even notice and drove it over to the swirl-o-matic, grabbed a bristled brush out of a bucket of dirty water and brushed the front and back and hit the green button to push the car through. :( 

Rental cars are awesome vehicles to do demos on. While working the Carlisle events I'll often grab a rental from another close by vendor to use.

No, the rental companies do not reimburse for a vehicle coming back better than it left, I really doubt the hourly waged staff person taking the vehicle back even notices. We don't do full corrections on these vehicles either, it's for product demonstration purposes. Often we'll do just flat surfaces where the best before/afters can be seen; hood trunk, roof, etc...

Rental cars are awesome vehicles to do demos on. While working the Carlisle events I'll often grab a rental from another close by vendor to use.

No, the rental companies do not reimburse for a vehicle coming back better than it left, I really doubt the hourly waged staff person taking the vehicle back even notices. We don't do full corrections on these vehicles either, it's for product demonstration purposes. Often we'll do just flat surfaces where the best before/afters can be seen; hood trunk, roof, etc...

Yes, never buy a black rental car.  It is very possible that the has hood polished within 1 pass of the clear coats life!  I watched 4 black rentals being used for polisher demos all weekend, and took a little clear coat myself.