Customer Service 866.965.0400

polishing glass?

terminator808

Question

My moms brand new SUV has some hard water spots on the front windshield.  Also I didn't have adams window sealant and used the rain-x windshield treatment that acts like a sealant, but when the sun hits it right or when it gets wet it looks like i never wiped the product off the windshield.  I tried just using some window cleaner, water spot remover and clay baring it but nothing worked, even a little bit.  Does anyone have any advice or tricks on how to get rid of this??

thanks in advance

12 answers to this question

Make sure the inside is clean. I had a similar situation on my Camaro a long time ago. I thought the glass was stained but turns out I had a nasty smear on the inside, lol! Try scrubbing the outside with Barkeepers Friend and a sponge.

I don't think is breaking a rule since Adam's does not sell such a product so....

Try Ceriglass with a Rayon pad on a DA Polisher... I have had pretty good results with it, not always amazing but it usually got out water spots. 

I've read that 0000 Steel Wool can scratch glass, so I would be very careful with that method (not tried it myself). I'm curious to try the Barkeepers Friend mentioned above, my recent acquisition could use some deep cleaning on the windshield.

I have never had #0000 Steel Wool scratch any exterior glass yet, but you have to make sure it is the Ultra Fine 0000 version. You do not want to use it on tinted or frosted glass, rubber trim, or paint though.

I always suggest trying something like Brilliant Glaze to clean the glass first though if claying doesn't remove everything. I've also used our Correcting Polish and Finishing Polish with a machine on glass before, but you need to be careful with respect to machine pressure and vibrations on the glass.

I had some stuff n my glass and tried all kinds of stuff, in the end a bunch of detail spray (prob more than I needed actually) and #0000 steel wool (which was dirt cheap ad home depot) and I have not had any problems yet.