Customer Service 866.965.0400

ma1hman

Question

Greetings Adams Team,

I am writing to clarify instructions on the use of the new deep wheel cleaner. I just cleaned my rims for the first time with this product and noticed that the cleaner left streaks of a blue residue i cannot get off.

The instructions on the bottle do not specify the maximum time you can leave the cleaner on, but it was only for about 1-2 minutes before washing / rinsing off.

Any ideas on what to do here? I can post pictures if needed. They are aluminum alloy wheels with a clear coat.

This is the first and only time I have ever had trouble with one of your products.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

19 answers to this question

Hello Nick,

I honestly don't recall.

It was about 8:30 this morning, so they should have been cool as my regular body paint was when i washed it.

That shouldn't be a problem.  You're just aren't supposed to wash the wheels after driving for awhile.  Did you try the all purpose cleaner to get the residue off?  I wouldn't worry - the product will come off. 

Thanks Nick,

I know the product was NOT dry when i went to rinse it off. It was not coming off with the regular car shampoo.

I will try the All Purpose Cleaner.

If you have a brush safe for the wheels, I would try to agitate the all purpose cleaner.  Or if you have an "extra" wash pad.

Yes i have the boars hair brush which is nice and gentle on the rims. Should i dilute the cleaner first or can i just spray on the pure concentration?

Edited by ma1hman

Also... don't let the all purpose cleaner dry on the wheel.  If that doesn't work, try to clay bar it.  If you don't have a clay bar, you can always try to polish it with a light to medium compound.

Lastly... maybe vinegar could help as well.  Someone might need to chime in to confirm that.  You should be safe since you have clear coat on your wheels.

Edited by csikx

Yes i have the boars hair brush which is nice and gentle on the rims. Should i dilute the cleaner first or can i just spray on the pure concentration?

I would spray it right on.  Just don't let it dry.  If that works, you'll need to seal the wheels after using the all purpose cleaner.

Edited by csikx

Apc is very alkaline and will strip any protection although it's safe for clear coat.

The problem was not the dwell time or product, I have the same problem, I wash outside and have to be cognizant of products drying on my wheels as one side is in the sun.

Do NOT let the cleaner dry on the wheels which can happen fast when the sun is shining on them even if they are cool.

^Right. When washing in direct sunlight with strong cleaners, it is best to focus on one area at a time to avoid the chemicals drying on the surface. Do one wheel at a time to avoid giving time to dry.

Your question about sealing after cleaning... After using the APC on your wheels, it will strip any protection you have on the wheels. It is best to apply a sealant to your wheels after cleaning, just as you would on any other surface on the vehicle. This will protect the wheels as well as make future cleaning easier.

Hi Jason, I'm sorry you're having issues with the Wheel Cleaner. It should not be staining your clear coated wheels if used properly and not allowed to dry onto the surface. It should start turning to a purple color in about 2 minutes or so after spraying onto the wheel, then I will agitate it with our Short Wheel Brush and immediately rinse clean with a powerful blast from the hose, making sure to remove any traces of the cleaner from any spokes, cracks, crevices, lug holes, etc. I clean one wheel at a time to ensure there are no issues. For wheels that are just lightly dirty, I will use our Car Shampoo instead - I save the Wheel Cleaner/Deep Wheel Cleaner for heavily soiled wheels with lots of brake dust built up on them.

Do you have any pictures you could provide? If you aren't able to post them here, please send them to tips@adamspolishes.com.