Customer Service 866.965.0400

cleaning leather

BlairW55

Question

I have a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT with black leather. Sometimes when in the car I’ve had enough perspiration on my t-shirts that in the on the back of the seat there are some light patches. I don’t think the dye is coming off because when I use leather conditioner it’s all the same shade. Plus the car has less than 10k on the clock. What can I do to clean the seat I think my perspiration had penetrated into the leather? 

thanks... 

4 answers to this question

Hi Blair, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like that is most likely salt transfer from your perspiration that has left marks on the leather. I see it often on headrests that people lean their head back onto a lot. You best option would be to clean it with our Leather & Interior Cleaner first, then put on Leather Conditioner. Spray the LIC onto an Edgeless Utility Microfiber Towel rather than directly onto the seat, and test it out on a small inconspicous area of the seat to ensure that it is not going to pull out any color using it at full strength, for example, the back underside of the seat. If it pulls color, dilute it 1:1 with water. Wipe the towel into the affected area, giving it a decent scrub, then flip the towel over to the dry side to wipe clean. Once dry, if the discoloration still remains, spray the seat a little and use our Cockpit Brush to gently scrub the leather, then use the dry side of the Edgeless Utility Towel to wipe the seat clean. It might take a few applications of the LIC to remove everything.

Thanks Dan for the information. I’ll try it out in a couple of days when I get some time. I’ve been a long time Adams customer but changed ISP so I have setup a new account only because when I tried to login I had forgot my password and couldn’t have it sent to my new email address. The G8 are and with my 79 Camaro garage queens. I love Adams products I always have a good supply on hand. For me detailing my cars isn’t a job.                               my 09 G8 post-14138-0-35601600-1459217994_thumb.jpg                                                                                                my 79 Camaro post-14138-0-72766200-1459218022_thumb.jpg                                                                                         my 03 Monte Carlo SS post-14138-0-22814300-1459218041_thumb.jpg

Throw down a towel on your seats if you are sweaty- used to do it all the time when I was in construction

yeah after I get them cleaned up I'll have to.. I almost always wear jeans and a t-shirt..  thanks...