Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Correction Outside.

GinoWhosoever

Question

15 answers to this question

I am not a big fan of doing it outside, unless your under some type of covering. Lighting is another issue, make sure you have some type of artificial light like some portable halogens etc. it will make it easier to see swirls and scratches. Careful of any flying dust as well if windy at all it will get in your paint correcting liquid chemicals. I've been to Adams events etc. where they do demos and paint corrections on vehicles outside, just be careful.

At the Carlisle Events we demo products and technique in front of our tent out in the sun. We'll work on high dollar Corvettes (often black ones) in the direct afternoon sun along a dusty walkway in mid August in Central PA.

Is it recommended? No.

Can you do it? Most definitely yes.

Depending on the temperature of the paint on the car, the polishing pad may dry quicker. Pay attention, you may need to work smaller areas than normal, and need to mist the pad with DS more often. Chris taught me a pretty slick tip; to remove the polish residue, that may very well adhere itself pretty firmly to the hot paint surface, don't waste your time trying to wipe or buff it off, simply apply a layer of BG directly over the polish reside and let it haze over. When you go to remove the BG residue the polish residue will come right off with it.

Edited by BRZN

I am not a big fan of doing it outside, unless your under some type of covering. Lighting is another issue, make sure you have some type of artificial light like some portable halogens etc. it will make it easier to see swirls and scratches. Careful of any flying dust as well if windy at all it will get in your paint correcting liquid chemicals. I've been to Adams events etc. where they do demos and paint corrections on vehicles outside, just be careful.

yeah im a little bummed that i have to do this one outside. the customer doesn't have a garage and want me to to it at their house. 

At the Carlisle Events we demo products and technique in front of our tent out in the sun. We'll work on high dollar Corvettes (often black ones) in the direct afternoon sun along a dusty walkway in mid August in Central PA.

Is it recommended? No.

Can you do it? Most definitely yes.

Depending on the temperature of the paint on the car, the polishing pad may dry quicker. Pay attention, you may need to work smaller areas than normal, and need to mist the pad with DS more often. Chris taught me a pretty slick tip; to remove the polish residue, that may very well adhere itself pretty firmly to the hot paint surface, don't waste your time trying to wipe or buff it off, simply apply a layer of BG directly over the polish reside and let it haze over. When you go to remove the BG residue the polish residue will come right off with it.

sweet, thanks for the tip. Like i was telling Jimmy the person wants me to do it at their house and they don't have a garage so well see how it goes. 

Here, perhaps this will make you feel a bit more at ease.

A Black 1968 GTO Convertible owned by a friend and done on my driveway a couple years ago.

Nasty:

IMG_2869resize.jpg

Wet sand:

IMG_2874resize.jpg

Polish:

IMG_2868resize.jpg

He'd purchased a Porter Cable and wanted a lesson.

Pretty Much Perfection!

IMG_2877resize.jpg

Speaking of outdoor paint correction...

Back home, my garage is filled on one side with tool boxes, work benches, and a variety of other fixed/hard to move objects. The other side is currently occupied by a race truck that does not currently have a motor in it. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that my truck will no longer fit under the garage door and even if it does, it is too long to get the garage door to close... All this being said, does anyone know of any tall canopies that would be able to go over my truck and for a fair price? I know it wouldn't be able to cover the entire truck but I would have no problem moving it to the areas I am working on during a paint correction when I get to it in a few weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guest washemup

Gino, I polish my personal vehicle outside as well, and occasionally have to do for customers as well, if they don't have a garage.  A few things that will help if you can't get in shade.

The horizontal surfaces (roof, trunk, hood) are the only surfaces you actually have to polish in direct sunlight if you have no access to shade. What you can do to cool the surface if it's too hot, (I use and old shammy I have) is to dampen a towel and cool the section to be worked on prior to polishing by just laying it on the surface.

Move it to the next section once your ready to begin on the section you have cooled down.

For the vertical surfaces, just turn the car so it's in the shade.

Be sure the section being worked is completely clean, avoid outdoor polishing on windy days.

Extra pads are a good idea as well, if for any reason the pad gets some contaminates on it, you have another.

Edited by washemup

Speaking of outdoor paint correction...

Back home, my garage is filled on one side with tool boxes, work benches, and a variety of other fixed/hard to move objects. The other side is currently occupied by a race truck that does not currently have a motor in it. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that my truck will no longer fit under the garage door and even if it does, it is too long to get the garage door to close... All this being said, does anyone know of any tall canopies that would be able to go over my truck and for a fair price? I know it wouldn't be able to cover the entire truck but I would have no problem moving it to the areas I am working on during a paint correction when I get to it in a few weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

No promises, but I just bought a Coleman 12x12 Sun Shelter at Wallymart on clearance for $74.00 !! Check your local stores, camping stores , on line, you'll find something

No promises, but I just bought a Coleman 12x12 Sun Shelter at Wallymart on clearance for $74.00 !! Check your local stores, camping stores , on line, you'll find something

Thanks! I'll look into that! Would you mind looking to see what the height on it is?