Customer Service 866.965.0400

First Detail/Swirl Removal/Wax

BADSS08

Question

So im sure this question has been asked before so sorry for the potential repeat. I've had my 2015 Camaro SS since last April and its never been detailed besides what the dealer considers a detail. For the past year all it has seen is Adams two bucket wash and detail spray. My question is do I need to do the dawn style wash to remove anything or can I just go straight to the wash and paint correction? Also, I know its generally wash followed by clay followed by the paint correction. Now do I rewash after the clay before starting the paint correction? Lastly, being that this is a daily driver with no garage what would be the best steps to take after the paint correction? Any help and feedback would be great!!  

Apologies in advance for all the questions!

First off, Welcome Xavier!

I would recommend a 'dawn style' wash, or even better add 2-3 oz. of APC to your Adam's Wash Shampoo bucket to help clean off any protection.  Do a 'baggie' test to determine the need to clay the car.  No need to wash again, but it does not hurt.  

Adam's longest lasting protection is PS, so apply some and you should be good for about 6 months.  You can add a wax on top, or wait a few washes and apply H2O G&G (not required, just 'boosts' the protection).

Some like to apply VRT before polishing to protect the trim, others prefer to tape the trim (window moldings and gaskets, mirrors housings, etc.).  Also tape any badges or stripes to protect them and the pads.     

And feel free to ask any questions you have.  We are friendly, helpful bunch here!

Edit:

Oh, and we want some pictures of your SS!

Edited by mc2hill

You may "strip wash" it if you wish, it won't hurt it and won't take any longer.

Most of us won't re-wash after clay but some do, I personnally see it as an unecessary step. You can even leave the detail spray used for claying on the paint and paint correct right over it.

Given your daily driver situation, you definitely should put the paint sealant as protection.

Thanks guys for the info I really appreciate it. So I orddered the vrt but it seems as though putting tape on the trim and vinyl will be the easiest solution.  

So after doing the correction what should I do after and in what order?

Also, @mc2hill pics on the way!!

There's a lot of good topics a simple search away on the order of steps.

Strip Wash

Clay

<< OPTIONAL WASH >>
Correction Polish

Finish Polish - This is a preference and how well Correction Polish finished down on your car.

Paint Sealant (wait one hour)

Paint Sealant (wait one hour)
<<OPTIONAL>> Wax of choice.I like buttery wax occasionally because its so easy, has instant gratification and gives me a good 30 minute excuse to go out in the garage after the kids go to bed and think about some stuff. 

Thanks guys for the info I really appreciate it. So I orddered the vrt but it seems as though putting tape on the trim and vinyl will be the easiest solution.  

So after doing the correction what should I do after and in what order?

After the correction apply PS.  if you are putting down 2 layers of PS or topping with wax, follow John's ^^^^ advice to wait.

Apply VRT to the tires & trim, and enjoy!

Many will take the PS 'cure' time to tackle the interior.

And the pics are great!!

So im sure this question has been asked before so sorry for the potential repeat. I've had my 2015 Camaro SS since last April and its never been detailed besides what the dealer considers a detail. For the past year all it has seen is Adams two bucket wash and detail spray. My question is do I need to do the dawn style wash to remove anything or can I just go straight to the wash and paint correction? Also, I know its generally wash followed by clay followed by the paint correction. Now do I rewash after the clay before starting the paint correction? Lastly, being that this is a daily driver with no garage what would be the best steps to take after the paint correction? Any help and feedback would be great!!  

Apologies in advance for all the questions!

Like Michael said just add a couple ounces of APC in your wash water.

Most of the time I polish over the clay residue, it's a personal preference, there is no right or wrong way.

If I do remove the residue I usually just do a DS wipe down. If you do another wash you have water running out of all the panel cracks to deal with.

Being red I would apply a coat of BG followed by PS. If she was a garage queen I would recommend Americana or Patriot wax instead of PS, however the PS is the most durable but the wax would give you a deeper wetter look. Have fun!

That Camaro is a beauty.  You could name her Rosie or Red Devil or Raging Red (just some ideas).

If I haven't welcomed you to the forum yet........ :welcomebanner:

Thanks! Those are some pretty good names.

Most of the time I polish over the clay residue, it's a personal preference, there is no right or wrong way.

If I do remove the residue I usually just do a DS wipe down. If you do another wash you have water running out of all the panel cracks to deal with.

Being red I would apply a coat of BG followed by PS. If she was a garage queen I would recommend Americana or Patriot wax instead of PS, however the PS is the most durable but the wax would give you a deeper wetter look. Have fun!

Good point on the water running through the panels. I'll just go straight to polish. Thanks

Doesn't wax come after sealant?

If you are going to apply both wax and sealant, that is correct PS then wax.

Yes!! Cool points for me lol. Thanks I appreciate it. Since I've got you here now being that this is my daily driver (always outside) and will also be a show car in a way what kind of maintenance should I follow?

I would maintain with H20 G&G (say once a month providing you wash once a week or so) and when you are going to a show throw a coat of BG on her!

Ohh okay cool I learned something new. Yea my hope is too keep her as swirl free as possible which I know is a lot harder for a vehicle that's outside all day.

Ohh okay cool I learned something new. Yea my hope is too keep her as swirl free as possible which I know is a lot harder for a vehicle that's outside all day.

Very tough indeed, specially when you are starting out in this new world of swirls fighter and you have a daily driver. Give yourself a reasonable challenge. After the paint is corrected, tell yourself: I want to be able to count the swirls in 6 months.

If you are able to count them, you would have succeeded. Then do it for 1 year and so on, you will adjust your technique and end up with a swirl free car pretty quick.

I've been on here for a few years and still haven't managed a 100% swirl free car over a year period on a daily driver. But I can count them on about 2 hands.

Edited by AvsBest

A couple more quick questions for you knowledgeable folks. So how do I determine which pad I need to use for my swirl removal (orange foam pad/microfiber cutting pad) or do I have to use both? Also would the finishing polish be necessary? Thanks again everybody.

The level of aggressiveness is: Microfiber Pad>Orange Foam Pad>White Foam Pad

Start with the white pad and Paint Finishing polish on a small test section.  If after using that combo, you still have larger scratches and swirls that cannot be removed, step up to the orange pad and Paint correcting Polish on your test section.  In most cases that will be enough correcting power but if it still is not, that's when you will want to use the microfiber cutting pad with Paint Correcting Polish.

Keep in mind that as you begin using more aggressive means of correction, you will see less fine levels of finishing.  This method of getting more aggressive should only be done on your test section and is used to determine what methods and products should be used on the rest of the vehicle.  You will then want to begin in all other areas using the most aggressive means you determined was necessary to reach the desired result and work down to less aggressive means in order to obtain a nicer finish.

Thanks guys. Thanks for the details James that helps me understand much better what each product does. I probably should have added this to my last list of questions but does the all purpose cleaner I will be using to strip the car have an negative impact on my black vinyl hash stripes?