Customer Service 866.965.0400

Once again, I turned down a free car wash

Dkhazlett

Question

Today was "Service B" for my wife's Mercedes. Pull into the dealership, greeter confirms the appointment, then inside to meet the service advisor. Our dealer offers a pretty decent free car wash (for the uninitiated) with interior vacuum and tire dressing too, whenever you want one, to include when you take it in for service of course. Naturally, I have to make it a point to ask the service advisor to not, repeat not, wash the car after the service. He looks at me like I'm out of my mind, and tells me: "...sir, our automatic car wash is state of the art. We wash S600 sedans and G-Wagons with it, and the owners are delighted. Why wouldn't you want us to wash your car for you?" I reply: "...the free car wash is a terrific thing you guys do, and I appreciate the offer. However, that car has never seen the inside of an automatic car wash in it's four year life. For me, detailing is therapy, and I use premium products from an outfit called Adams."

Service advisor says okay no problem, and puts "NO CAR WASH" on the service ticket. When we walk out to the car together so he can put the service ticket on the dash, he stops ten feet short of the car, looks at it, says "oh", does a five-Mississippi, and says "oh" again. Then, "...okay sir, now I understand. The last thing that car needs is a wash."

So, my wife and neighbors think I'm OCD, and we can never let the church youth group wash either of our vehicles at their fund raisers (we just give them the money and tell them to stay back). On days I'm expecting an Adams delivery, I hang out near the front door like my dog does when he's waiting for me to come home. The best part is, every bit of it is 100% worth it.

Thank you Adams -- if you didn't do what you do, I would probably be a golfer, addicted to romantic comedies, or spend my time clipping coupons or something. Instead, I get to hang out in the garage and see tangible results of my hard work.

17 answers to this question

I just had my oil changed yesterday. The SA (new to me) was surprised I didn't want their free car wash. Once I explained I just got done polishing all the dealer install swirls out over the last two weekends he kind of understood. When thier "detailer" came to him to ask whose car it was, I think he got it. He was interested in what my Spray wax I was using because he doesn't see beading (it was raining) like that very often in the service lane.

And then we got into sealants, and then even coatings....

It was a proud moment for me LOL

I remember on Adam's website somewhere was a Do Not Wash tag that you hang from your rear view mirror. I think you need one of them, if someone knows where to find it.

Hmm, I remember these too. Maybe now is a good time to make an updated one when I have a few free minutes? :)

Comforting to know I am not alone...like I needed the reassurance. So, I showed the hang tag image to my wife (thanks for the link Seth) and all she said was if I use it, to take a sharpie pen and write "Please" above the "Do not". Thanks, honey, I'll make a note of it. Seriously, if Adams offered those things on card stock or laminated, I would buy them.

Today was "Service B" for my wife's Mercedes. Pull into the dealership, greeter confirms the appointment, then inside to meet the service advisor. Our dealer offers a pretty decent free car wash (for the uninitiated) with interior vacuum and tire dressing too, whenever you want one, to include when you take it in for service of course. Naturally, I have to make it a point to ask the service advisor to not, repeat not, wash the car after the service. He looks at me like I'm out of my mind, and tells me: "...sir, our automatic car wash is state of the art. We wash S600 sedans and G-Wagons with it, and the owners are delighted. Why wouldn't you want us to wash your car for you?" I reply: "...the free car wash is a terrific thing you guys do, and I appreciate the offer. However, that car has never seen the inside of an automatic car wash in it's four year life. For me, detailing is therapy, and I use premium products from an outfit called Adams."

Service advisor says okay no problem, and puts "NO CAR WASH" on the service ticket. When we walk out to the car together so he can put the service ticket on the dash, he stops ten feet short of the car, looks at it, says "oh", does a five-Mississippi, and says "oh" again. Then, "...okay sir, now I understand. The last thing that car needs is a wash."

So, my wife and neighbors think I'm OCD, and we can never let the church youth group wash either of our vehicles at their fund raisers (we just give them the money and tell them to stay back). On days I'm expecting an Adams delivery, I hang out near the front door like my dog does when he's waiting for me to come home. The best part is, every bit of it is 100% worth it.

Thank you Adams -- if you didn't do what you do, I would probably be a golfer, addicted to romantic comedies, or spend my time clipping coupons or something. Instead, I get to hang out in the garage and see tangible results of my hard work.

Was the car wash offered one of those touchless, laser washes? I like washing my own vehicles, weather permitting of course, but I have run my vehicles through our local touchless laser wash during our brutal PA winters, basically because they get the undercarriage fairly well and to remove road salt from the panels. Are they that bad for your vehicles? If so, is it because the soaps they use are harsh?