Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flex, Rupes, or Griots?

jessewsmith

Question

Hello

I have been wanting to get a new polisher. I have a porter cable 7424xp and I'm looking to upgrade and possibly do other people's vehicles. At my job I got a chance to use the flex 3401 and I loved it compared to my pc.

I have been doing some looking around and I don't have the money to get one now but I hope to get one when I graduate high school (in about 2 months). I've been trying to decide between a Flex 3401, Flex xfe7-15, Rupes BigFoot LHR15(or 21) mark 2, and Griots Grage Boss g15(or 21)

What do you all use and why do you like it? I would like any input 

16 answers to this question

Jessie, 

I think you'll mostly get feedback on the Flex 3401 and the Rupes Bigfoot from this crowd. The other two you mentioned are not yet offered by Adam's and those of us that frequent the forum provided free to us by Adam's usually repay that courtesy by not talking about competitors, or products offered by competitors.

I will say that there are a few forums out there that have covered this topic from backing plate to power cord several times over.

The 3401 is a forced rotation machine. It not only "randomly" orbits, but it also spins no matter what you do with it. It requires a bit more control to keep it under control. Very powerful machine. 

The Next 3 on your list are all in a similar family .They're all long (more than 8MM) throw machines that randomly orbit and have a free spinning pad. Rules is the original on the long throws so you can't go wrong there. I have a 15 MarkII and LOVE it. it's super smooth and made a great first machine. Reviews on the other 2 you mentioned all say about the same thing. 

I recently upgraded from a 'PC style' polisher (PC and GG" 6") to a Rupes LHR15 MarkII, and it is soooo much better!  It is very smooth and well balanced.  You run it at a lower speed, but it corrects faster, thanks to the large rotation.  (BTW, it is the favorite machine of all the Rupes reps I have spoken with.)  The Flex 3401 is a nice machine, but more of a production type polisher, due it's forced rotation.  It works fine, but not a smooth as the Rupes.

I will let others speak on the Cyclo.

If detailing for dollars I would say go with the Flex. It can knock some work out extremely fast. I have a Rupes 15 a Flex a PC and a Cyclo. The PC is outclassed by the other three in many ways. The PC is a great tool, but the others are definitely better. You really won't be disappointed no matter what you go with.

I have a Cyclo and a PC. Since getting the Cyclo, I haven't turned the PC on, the Cyclo is so much better, easier to control and a lot less vibration. Can't speak to the Rupes, but I am thinking of getting one and just selling the PC.

The Cyclo and Flex each have their strengths. For my personal use I usually just go to my Cyclo, I get great results and really low vibration. The Flex takes a little less time, but with a bit more vibration. I've not yet used the Rupes, but one of my detailers loves his. The PC is a good low dollar tool for the casual user.

I started with the PC 7424 which is a very user friendly machine. I then bought a Flex 3401 which is much more powerful machine. This past Fall I picked up a Rupes Mini at the Adams tent at the Corvette show in Carlisle. I was really impressed with how well it corrects paint and the ability to get into tight areas. While at the show I was able to use the Rupes Bigfoot LHR 15. This is now on my wish list!

If you are going to upgrade I would go with the Rupes Bigfoot LHR 15 or 21 Mark ll. Rupes is a quality product and easy to use. The Flex is also a great product but can be a work out.

IMO.  I would go with the Rupes 15.  its the best all around polisher.  I have the flex 3401 but its a beast, works fantastic, its great on large areas.  The Rupes 15 is a nice in the middle polisher that works great on most newer cars and is not too big and not too small.  if you want something smaller...I love my rupes mini. 

Search around there are plenty of articles, videos, etc out there with decent reviews for all those machines.  Best thing is to see what will fit what you want to accomplish and then pull the trigger. 

I will certainly agree with the crowd and say you won't go wrong with the Rupes 15. I personally would think the 21 would be too big for doing many diff cars as it could be tough to manage on some smaller cars and such. 

I love the combo of the cyclo and the rupes mini. Same size pads and all do a great job. 

IF you get a Polisher here you won't go wrong, you just won't.