Customer Service 866.965.0400

New car arrived with paint issues

Wgeffon

Question

Just got a new 2016, Red, Subaru BRZ.

I told the dealership not to do anything with the paint such as wax or detail the car as I would do it myself.

The car looked good sitting outside on the day of delivery but, it was overcast and there was some spotty rain in the area.

I took the car to where I work, (aircraft hangar with very good flourescent lighting) and washed it. As I was drying it i noticed some smearing and marks in the paint that were not budging. I stopped what I Was doing and drove the car back to the dealership.

They held the car for almost two weeks trying to figure out what to do. The Subaru rep for our area came down and looked at the car and thought it was bad. He said what he thinks happened was when it was shipped from Japan they wrapped some panels in protective plastic sheets prior to the clear coat being completely dry.

The Solution was to send the car to a local detailer for wet sand and buff. To me, that seemed very aggressive but when the car came back it looked a lot better than I thought it would. There was no guarantee ordering a new car would provide any different results as this was a Subaru error in how they do things.

I have had the car for a couple weeks and have washed and waxed it. It looks good but, there are some areas that have some visible scratches if you are in the correct light.

I am wondering what you guys would do at this point?

Seek out a local detailer to fix it?

Try and fix it myself?

I am a hand wax, polisher and have zero experience with power equipment for buff and wax.

To 95% of the public this car looks amazing but, I know people on here and people who swear by Adams products understand the need for amazing shine and depth in a paint job.

post-9494-0-17195900-1459744300_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wgeffon

21 answers to this question

I have been reading all the advice here on the forums. Really great info from everyone.

In doing so, I think I have a plan of action.

Please tweak what I have in mind if you think I have things out of order or are not needed.

Strip wash with a couple ounces of APC in my two bucket wash.

Clay bar

Revive hand polish

LPS

H2o GG

Americana wax

Thoughts?

Your attack plan is solid ( I would skip the H2OGG now. Use it as a maintenance product later.) but unless the marks are very superficial you probably won't be able to remove them by hand.

It's worth a try, though.

If they don't come out you should get a polisher.  You're going to need one sooner or later anyway and they are VERY EASY to use.  It can be intimidating at first but it is really nothing to worry about if you get one of the polishers sold here at Adam's.  Very low chance of doing damage and very effective for problems like this.

Edited by Beemer

Hi Wayne, Nice BRZ!  I just picked up a 2016 Lapis Blue legacy two months ago.  I think your attack plan with hand polishing is definitely worth a try.  Subaru's tend to have soft paint so you maybe able to get it presentable until you can pick up a decent machine polisher. 

Hi there, for the initial damage from the white protective vinyl, did it appear as cloudy or milky in the finish? If so, this happens fairly open when cars are shipped from overseas and the material sits on the finish for a while. The protective film can cause some moisture to build up underneath the clear coat. Usually slowly heating up the clear coat with a heat gun will remove the defects. I'm surprised the dealership didn't know this. I had to do this on my GTO when I got it new in 2006, it was a very common problem with Brazen Orange, Spice Red, and Impulse Blue goats, with Spice Red looking pretty close to the color of your BRZ.

It's hard to know without seeing it.  I work at an Audi dealer and sometimes cars come in with "damage" like this.  After about a week in the sun it is completely gone.  With that said, I would be concerned if they sanded my new car.  Who knows how much clear was taken off?  

IMAG2668_zpslopjuhqu.jpg

Considering Subaru doesn't have exactly the thickest clear coat to begin with and is super soft in my experience - I agree with Matt above - Subaru paint is super soft, maybe the defects you notice now (after it got back from the shop) is just from washing and drying technique?

What is your wash/dry regimen now?  On Subaru as well as Infiniti and a few others, I don't really recommend the waffle weaves unless they are brand new - I prefer a plush drying towel on softer paints.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Considering Subaru doesn't have exactly the thickest clear coat to begin with and is super soft in my experience - I agree with Matt above - Subaru paint is super soft, maybe the defects you notice now (after it got back from the shop) is just from washing and drying technique?

What is your wash/dry regimen now?  On Subaru as well as Infiniti and a few others, I don't really recommend the waffle weaves unless they are brand new - I prefer a plush drying towel on softer paints.

Always plush...never waffle

Hi there, for the initial damage from the white protective vinyl, did it appear as cloudy or milky in the finish? If so, this happens fairly open when cars are shipped from overseas and the material sits on the finish for a while. The protective film can cause some moisture to build up underneath the clear coat. Usually slowly heating up the clear coat with a heat gun will remove the defects. I'm surprised the dealership didn't know this. I had to do this on my GTO when I got it new in 2006, it was a very common problem with Brazen Orange, Spice Red, and Impulse Blue goats, with Spice Red looking pretty close to the color of your BRZ.

If you can stand it, sometimes this milky cloudy look will go away by itself if it sets the sun.....but it takes time.

If you can stand it, sometimes this milky cloudy look will go away by itself if it sets the sun.....but it takes time.

Definitely wasnt going to be able to bear that one.

Interesting to find out this is somewhat common.

2006 Brazen Orange Pontiac GTO here.

Yup, I've got a few of the cloudy/milky white spots on my driver's side door from the boat ride/white plastic protectent film. The car arrived to the dealer I purchased it from in September of 2006 and I purchased the car new in May of 2007 with 110 miles on the clock. I've not done anything to them other than polish the paint just as I do the rest of the vehicle. The only time they're visible is in certain light and at certain angles. Unless I point them out nobody else ever has: and I know Dan and Chris have seen the car many times. I'd contemplated the heat gun, but decided against it due to possible damage being even worse to the paint.

I'd say leave them, unless they're bad enough a respray is needed. If it is, then I'd try the heat gun.

As for the scratches, and not being able to catch a nail, they'll come out.

Enjoy!

I was able to spnd some time detailing the BRZ yesterday.

Strip wash

Clay bar

Revive

LPS

Americana...

Car looks good however, there are some scratched areas that shouldnt be there on a new car. To have any chance at making those areas better will require someone with more know how than I have.

Heres some pics..

post-9494-0-99853800-1460228557_thumb.jpeg

post-9494-0-30879600-1460228569_thumb.jpeg

post-9494-0-52089600-1460228585_thumb.jpeg

The BRZ looks good! I had a similar problem with my new 2012 Camaro only it was scratched all over, probably do to being washed on the lot. I had zero experience with polishing until I found Adams and watched the videos on how to do it. Now I have 3  different polishers!