Customer Service 866.965.0400

Gum in carpet

ragin_cajuns

Question

Any tips on removing gum from carpet?  Carpet is black and gum in light colored so it looks terrible right now.  I tried the ice trick - left a bag of ice on the gum for about 45 mins.  it got the easy to remove stuff off but there is still alot of gum left deep in the carpet threads.

24 answers to this question

Peanut butter.  Yes, it works.  Baby oil also works well.  You'll have to massage it into the gum and slowly pull it out.  Patience, patience, patience!

I have 3 daughters, and have yet to have to cut their hair with what they have gotten stuck in it!

Then how do you get the peanut butter out?

Jelly.

That's what I was going to say, but you beat me to it.

You'll be able to get the peanut butter out with any carpet cleaning device.  Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner would work well for this, as well as carpet shampoo machines.  I have the "Little Green Clean Machine", and it is the perfect size for use in vehicles.

Combine two of these suggestions!

An iron on steam setting with a towel in between the carpet and the iron. Theoretically the gum should transfer to the towel. Then just throw away the towel.

Thanks, should the towel be dry or damp?

Combine two of these suggestions!

An iron on steam setting with a towel in between the carpet and the iron. Theoretically the gum should transfer to the towel. Then just throw away the towel.

^I like it - its a poor mans steamer in a pinch - I have a regular McCulloch steamer plus a Rowenta steamer for clothes so i'm spoiled lol

Wife says you guys are wrong.  ICE!  She says to use ice to freeze it and then it will pull right off. 

started with the ice - it only gets off the easy stuff sitting on top the carpet.  i left a bag of ice on it for 45 mins.  what's left is really buried ans stuck in the fibers of the carpet.

Peanut butter, or ice. I have gone to an electronics parts house and got a can of freeze spray, it will freeze anything and does work to get stuff like gum out of carpet.