Customer Service 866.965.0400

When can you stick with 1 step?

AvsBest

Question

I've been 2 stepping ever since I started but I'm starting to realize that I can't really tell the difference between before paint finishing and after paint finishing. Is it fair to say that if you don't have "damage" created by your 1 step, you should just leave it?

Assuming I'm right, the paint finishing polish would then mostly be used as a 1 step also when you want to remove minor defects and/or bring the paint back to life after a few months of winter?

2 answers to this question

I like to one step by mixing equal parts PCP and PFP onto an Orange Microfiber polishing pad. From your post it sure sounds like you're to the point that one stepping is all you now need. Address areas that have a scratch, swirl, or other marring individually.

My GTO garage queen gets one stepped with just PFP on a White Foam polishing pad.

I try to one-step my polishing as much as possible.  If you are not sure, so a 50/50 on a panel to determine if there is a real difference.  

BTW, I have found the speed dial on the Rupes 15 MkII really makes it easy to slow down speed and 'finish' on the last few passes.

I only did one-step on my S-I-L's GTO.  The paint was great, but the prep underneath had me trying to correct sanding marks and other marring that were UNDER the clear!   

post-1109-0-36513300-1457843976_thumb.jp