Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint correction expectation

JDrach

Question

On my car there's some fading of the clear coat. I was wondering what the paint correcting polish and orange microfiber might do to this? This is probably the worst area of the car aside from deeper scratches that polishing won't get out. Thanks guys

9 answers to this question

Very hard to get a feel for what exactly the condition is, but based on the location on the car you're dealing with a plastic substrate. On these surfaces they use different hardeners and curing agents in the paint to maintain flexibility in the paint. As a result they sometime 'age' differently than the rest of the car - espeically when neglected or subjected to harsh conditions (intense sun, winter deicers, freeze/thaw cycles)

From what I can see that doesn't appear to be complete failure yet, just hazing/oxidation. I would recommend trying to polish that out, but work with mild polishes/pads and low speeds to start. That first pass should tell you a great deal about what you're working with. If you see color transfer then the clear has failed and you're touching pigment layers. If you don't proceed to make a few more passes with the fine combo at low speed and continue as you see improvement. If you don't notice the area becoming any clearer then stop polishing and move to a protective product to at least stop the issue from getting worse and maintain.

No exaggeration, I worked on the front cap of a 5th wheel yesterday (clear coat over brown base) where the same issue was completely remedied with 2-3 passes of our fine compound and pad combo on the LHR15II at speed 3.

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

I will say that I did polish by hand with ultimate compound and wax. The white faded look did go away some and color seemed to blend in more around the area. And it is plastic bumper so I wondered how that played into the deterioration of the colored paint and clear coat compared to metal surface