Customer Service 866.965.0400

Protecting toneau cover

ragin_cajuns

Question

Anyone have one of the the BAK Industries toneau covers on their truck?  I have the BAK Flip I think.  It's fiberglass, not the aluminum ones.

Since its black and a large flat surface dust and especially pollen shows up on very easy.  I was wondering how to protect it.  It has a textured surface, fiberglass panels, aluminum parts as well, and rubber.  Wax, sealant or just clean real good and use H20 Guard and Gloss?

Thanks,

15 answers to this question

I have one of them on my truck. 

Currently I have used VRT on it and just did the whole thing in it but I was going to try the H2O this spring on it when I do my detailing. I dont see the issue thou I might use the VRT on the rubber still as it sees a ton of movement and needs to stay in good condition. 

You used VRT on the fiberglass and aluminum parts?  I was thinking of waxing the panels and aluminum pieces (then maintaining with H20 G&G) and spraying with In and Out spray for the rubber.

Edited by ragin_cajuns

So I emailed BAK and asked how to protect it/if I should use wax and they said you should wash with soap and water and protect it with 3M Formula 303 UV protection.  Would using VRT on it be comparable?  Not sure with 3M Formula 303 is.

Once again it is BAKFlip Fibermax which has Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer (RFP) panels with powder coated aluminum frames and rubber between the panels and on the edges.

My tonneau cover maker recommended that too.  I bought some before I found Adam's, but now I use VRT.  I think they really want a non-silicone dressing, and the water-resistance of VRT makes it a better option, IME.

My tonneau cover maker recommended that too.  I bought some before I found Adam's, but now I use VRT.  I think they really want a non-silicone dressing, and the water-resistance of VRT makes it a better option, IME.

So you apply VRT on the entire surface?