Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using all the products together

RickF

Question

I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't find a thread. My question is, I would like to get my truck ready for a car show, I've never entered a vehicle in a show so I'm new at this. My truck is a 95 F150 with several paint defects, but overall looks pretty good for a 21 year old truck that was kept in a barn. My plan was to clay, then use the paint correcting polish and after that paint finishing polish. Should I then follow up with the Americana wax? Will that give me the shine I'm after? Also, is it OK to then maintain that with the Guard and Gloss?

My big question is, am i defeating the purpose of some products by using other products on top fo them. I know, a lot to answer here, thanks for your help.

Also, I'm talking about Ford Nationals at Carlisle, I'm really hoping Adam's is going to be there this year!

13 answers to this question

There are a lot of things to cover before a car show, but each owner must approach the show in his or her own way when it comes to prep and on-location detailing.

The amount of correction depends a lot on the condition of the paint. Using an ultra-bright light, you can shine the light on the paint to help you gauge how much correction you'll need to do. You'll always want to follow correction with the finishing polish, as you've stated.

Once you've polished, I would then machine-apply Adam's Paint Sealant. Once the sealant has been laid down, then apply Americana.

Maintenance washes, weather, and general use will wear down the Americana in just a few weeks. Re-apply Americana at that point or use H20 G&G to maintain protection. With the paint sealant already laid down, and maintaining either wax or G&G, your sealant could last as long as 6-9 months. Garage queens can probably go a full year on the same sealant. It's serious protection.

One other product to consider is Brilliant Glaze on top of the sealant, but below the wax. It will make your truck absolutely pop in the sun!

Hey Rick, that's a pretty solid plan of attack you have there, and YES, WE WILL BE BACK FOR FORD NATIONALS THIS YEAR!!! :patriot: 

Usually I will apply a sealant product down first and then a wax, but in your case to prepare for a show I will usually do a coat of Brilliant Glaze followed up with the Americana Wax to get as much shine and depth as possible. You could then follow up with the H2O Guard & Gloss a few washes later to put even more protection onto the vehicle. I will usually use HGG about every 4 or 5 washes.

The big key at shows is attention to the little details. Make sure to clean any exterior oxidized plastic trim pieces with All Purpose Cleaner and then protect them and bring back that nice dark color to them with Super VRT. Polish wheels, chrome bumpers, exhaust tips, etc. VRT or Tire Shine to the tires after scrubbing them with APC. Give the engine bay a good cleaning - In & Out Spray on wire loom, hoses, and other tough to reach black plastic areas, VRT on larger rubber and plastic areas - getting little things like hood struts, rubber stoppers, and battery terminals clean, removing any leaves or needles that build up along the wiper cowl, cleaning the underside of the hood if it's painted - judges will notice all of that. Even things like having matching valve stem caps at all four tires, it just depends how picky they want to be. Polish headlights and taillights too if they are starting to yellow or show swirl marks in the plastic. Undercarriage Spray for the wheel well liners if they are black plastic or painted black. All of these little touches will make your truck stand out parked next to one that doesn't have these areas addressed.

Lastly, don't forget the interior. For Carlisle specifically, they almost always want the windows down when the judge comes by so that they can peak in and look at the floor mats, gauges, dash board, seat condition, etc. Try to address any possible staining with Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner on the carpets, visors, headliner, etc. Vacuum the interior before the show and shake the floor matts out when you get there. If you have any literature on the truck - pictures from throughout the years (maybe of it sitting in the barn), any service receipts, and so on - I like to put those in a binder with clear plastic pages and set it on the passenger seat, tail gate, etc. It gives a nice personal touch without going too overboard.

If you have any questions at all at the show, come find Dave, myself, or anyone else at our tent and we will be glad to help you out with some pointers and tips :)

The most important thing though is to have fun meeting everyone else and enjoy the show!

Sounds like you have a solid plan and some great advice above. Carlisle is a BLAST, I have not been to Fords but go for all Chryslers and its just a great time. 

There is not really a thing as going too far, but just keep it within your time frame so that you do not over work yourself in getting ready to go so you dont burn out before you get there. 

Thanks for all the advice, I'm so pumped that you guys will be there this year! Looks like I'm going to order that Americana wax kit that comes with the brilliant glaze.

Thanks again!

Edited by RickF

Great advice from everyone!  

BG is a great choice for car show prep.  You may even want to add another coat when you arrive at the show (quick Waterless Wash wipe down first of course).  It works great on paint, chrome, and glass too!

I represented Adam's well at NMRA at Maple Grove Raceway. My first car show and I got a special recognition award. The Americana wax had my 95 F150 shining! Thanks for the advice guys, can't wait to see Adam's at Carlisle!post-13023-0-57942300-1462152742_thumb.jpg

Edited by RickF

Another question, once you have your car shining with a coat of Brilliant glaze and a coat of Americana wax, when you want to refresh it, do you just apply another coat of Americana? Is that what you want to keep doing, in other words, does it matter as far as what you layer on top of it?

Depends.  If it's been a month or two go ahead and throw another coat of Americana on it.  If it's only been a week or two use Brilliant Glaze or Detail Spray.

If you get too many coats of wax on the paint it could get a little "hazy".