Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Black Painted Wheels

Question

Hey All, 

Just purchased some new black painted wheels and was wondering what everyone recommends as a first step and upkeep.  I've looked around the forum and I see people recommending quick sealant but I can't find it on the Adam's site, I'm assuming they no longer make it.  

Should I buy the Liquid paint sealant to apply now while they are off the car and brand new then upkeep with H20 guard and gloss going forward? 

Also, is the Deep wheels cleaner safe to use on Painted wheels?

8 answers to this question

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

You're correct in that our Quick Sealant was unfortunately discontinued late last year due to new VOC laws.

Liquid Paint Sealant and then maintaining them with H2O Guard & Gloss is my current method of protection on most of my wheels. You will want to apply the Paint Sealant in a thin, even layer for easiest removal of the sealant residue once it hazes up.

Deep Wheel Cleaner and our newly reformulated Wheel Cleaner should be safe on most painted wheels, provided the wheels and brakes are cool to the touch and you do NOT let the cleaner dry onto the wheel. Do you have any pictures of the wheels?

Clean one wheel at a time and then fully rinse it of all cleaner. The only wheel finishes I do not recommend to use it on are uncoated aluminum and uncoated polished aluminum wheels, and wheels with a polished aluminum lip, as it can leave a cloudy appearance that would then need to be polished out again. Some PVD coated black chrome wheels may also have issues, as some of those coatings are weaker than others depending on the manufacturer.

Dan, is the concern only with PVD black chrome or all PVD? (I have a set of 2015 Corvette Z06 "chrome" wheels. I'm almost positive they are PVD. I used the original DWC on them without any issues.)

Related subject: If the vehicle has carbon ceramic brake rotors REALLY try to keep strong chemicals like wheel cleaner away from them. CCB rotors have been known to stain. (I remove the wheels from the car when using DWC. Maintenance cleaning I do on the car using 16:1 Car Shampoo.)

Edited by LT1xL82

Dan, is the concern only with PVD black chrome or all PVD? (I have a set of 2015 Corvette Z06 "chrome" wheels. I'm almost positive they are PVD. I used the original DWC on them without any issues.)

Related subject: If the vehicle has carbon ceramic brake rotors REALLY try to keep strong chemicals like wheel cleaner away from them. CCB rotors have been known to stain. (I remove the wheels from the car when using DWC. Maintenance cleaning I do on the car using 16:1 Car Shampoo.)

If DWC worked on your chrome wheels without issue, the new Wheel Cleaner will be fine too, provided you follow the directions  :)

It's safe for painted, clear coat, powder coat, and chrome wheels, but I did want to put a small disclaimer as there are so many new types of wheel finishes on the market now that we cannot guarantee it will be perfect for everything. For delicate wheels or wheels that are not heavily dirty, I still recommend our Car Shampoo.

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

You're correct in that our Quick Sealant was unfortunately discontinued late last year due to new VOC laws.

Liquid Paint Sealant and then maintaining them with H2O Guard & Gloss is my current method of protection on most of my wheels. You will want to apply the Paint Sealant in a thin, even layer for easiest removal of the sealant residue once it hazes up.

Deep Wheel Cleaner and our newly reformulated Wheel Cleaner should be safe on most painted wheels, provided the wheels and brakes are cool to the touch and you do NOT let the cleaner dry onto the wheel. Do you have any pictures of the wheels?

Clean one wheel at a time and then fully rinse it of all cleaner. The only wheel finishes I do not recommend to use it on are uncoated aluminum and uncoated polished aluminum wheels, and wheels with a polished aluminum lip, as it can leave a cloudy appearance that would then need to be polished out again. Some PVD coated black chrome wheels may also have issues, as some of those coatings are weaker than others depending on the manufacturer.

Hi Dan,

these are the wheels sorry for the late reply

uyIj5Fvl.jpg

Hi Dan,

these are the wheels sorry for the late reply

uyIj5Fvl.jpg

Great looking wheel my friend. I used all of Adams products in the prepping of my wheels (they were not new & had some stains etc) All Purpose Cleaner/wheel Cleaner/Car Shampoo/Revive Polish then I  applied a coat of Re-jex to seal them. I had 2 cans of quick sealant which I forgot about having which I would have used..I just posted a thread on detailing them (C6-C7 Corvette)