Customer Service 866.965.0400

Looking for narrow crevice tool

Mooser

Question

My wifes DD is a 2011 Malibu. Today was the first nice day we've had in quite awhile and I tackled the interior to get a winters worth of crud out. (actually wasn't very bad at all, weathertech mats are great at keeping the salt off the carpet.)

Anyway, between the seat and the sill-plate there is a small gap that's fairly deep and various things have fallen in. You can see them but neither crevice tools I have for the shop-vac will actually fit down into that area. I've even got one that I've heated and squashed flatter and it's still to big to do much.

Before I start trying to modify something, is there an off-the-shelf solution already out there?

M

11 answers to this question

Yes it for the vacuum. I can't get at it from the back because of where the pillar is between the doors prevents the current tool I'm using from reaching regardless of the seat position and from the front, it's the front of the seat, even in the farthest back position.

Maybe I can find a longer crevice tool 

M

How easy is it to take the seat out? My Camaro has very little room so I got in the habit of taking both seats out to vacuum, lol!

Be careful with removing seats if you go this route. Some newer cars can throw air bag fault codes on the dashboard if you remove the driver or front passenger seats without first disconnecting the vehicle battery first, and then it usually involves a trip to the dealership to have that particular code removed - code scanners won't always remove airbag faults.

Yeah I'm not going to go as far as to remove the seats or anything, it's just the DD and there is too much electrical junk hanging under there for my liking. 

I think I've got a solution worked out if I can get it to connect to my existing shop vac.

There are a few companies that sell metal crevice tools. By the looks of them they are thinner than the plastic ones and can certainly be re-shaped a little thinner if needed.

Got one source up here in Ont. I need to contact tomorrow and see what they have in stock

Thanks for the ideas

M

My Dyson has a thinner crevice tool than my Shop Vac so if needed I use that - Or I just get out the Sidekick and blow it out - If you have a Blaster 4hp or MB that would work as well

You'd be surprised at how much you can get out of the interior by just opening the doors and blowing it out before you start vacuuming

Edited by Ricky Bobby

During the pollen season I like to use my air compressor to blow out all the vents, nooks, and crannies. I'll have to try it on carpet next time.

I want to get one of those Tornador Black tools, too

I have run into this before. Nothing a little bit of redneck engineering can't handle!

I used a small diameter tube, got a roll of electrical tape and taped the tube to the crevice tool. When your done simply remove the tape. Sure the shop vac is screaming but not for to long.