Customer Service 866.965.0400

Something Sticky...and Scratches

thatryan

Question

So washed car yesterday and there is always some stuff that doesn't come off for me, so usually after I walk around with a soft towel and detail spray and rub off anything. ( I cannot scrub very hard when I wash, I'm pretty weak )

I noticed on my roof something sticky, didn't look like tree sap, but even working hard with detail spray barely moved it. Is there something better to remove something like that?

Secondly, the toddler managed to "wash" part of my car for me...using sandpaper. Yikes. Does not appear to be deep, but what is the best thing to work out some scratches in a section? Hand polish? Or the drill adapter set up? What is proper chemical to use with that BTW, and can I wax/seal just that section after?

Thank you.

12 answers to this question

First try would be the clay bar on the tree sap. It may or may not work but it's the least aggressive method. If it doesn't work, hand polish if you don't have a machine and that doesn't work, you may need a machine. Applying sealant on the paint helps taking care of issues like this easily, just a tip for future reference if you didn't have it in the first place.

For your sandpaper mark, I'd day it's a waste of time trying to hand polish it out. Definitely need a machine on that one. The Drill adapter would be very last resort as it can and will burn through the paint if used incorrectly, not for the faint of heart.

Aways go from least aggressive to more agressive as you go through the steps. Wash would be the least agressive all the way to wet sanding which would be the most agressive which is pretty much what you toddler ended up doing lol

How much gritt is that sandpaper?

Edited by AvsBest

For some reason my computer was not downloading my phone images, lame, so it took a bit lol. 

Here are two pics. Not sure what sandpaper it was I didn't look. I was actually inside when his mom was sanding our mailbox to paint it, and my car was right there and he wanted to sand too I guess... oh well! lol

Sticky Stuff and scratches pics attached..

scratches

post-10925-0-18435600-1461108875_thumb.jpg

post-10925-0-17389100-1461108879_thumb.jpg

Picture of the sandpaper is not very clear but they both look fairly superficial to me. Having said that if the mother was trying to remove paint from a mailbox, it's probably around the 400 grit mark and that is pretty darn harsh. You'd have to try the machine to see, is it on the plastic too? Because that would be another pain as the paint on the plastic is thinner than on metal. It also looks pretty close to an edge which also has its own challenges.

You may be able to get the sticky out by hand polishing but not the sandpaper. 

^^I agree - if it was to sand down wood to paint prep its probably a coarse grit and not like 1000 grit automotive sandpaper.

And its on curved edge of the panel which is the worst spot as the paint is thinnest there.  If you have someone who has the strength, run a pass with orange foam and Correcting Polish to see what improvement you get.  I wouldn't run the drill there just yet because of the location.

Yes the correcting polish (orange) - Polishing by hand is usually a bear and doesn't net great results, but you can try.

Only reason I'd tell you to not try is I know you said your muscular makes you weaker than most as is, so I don't want you to exert yourself when its probably not going to help much for you to do it.

Using with a machine is ideal.

Yes the correcting polish (orange) - Polishing by hand is usually a bear and doesn't net great results, but you can try.

Only reason I'd tell you to not try is I know you said your muscular makes you weaker than most as is, so I don't want you to exert yourself when its probably not going to help much for you to do it.

Using with a machine is ideal.

Cool thanks. 

I do have the Cyclo polisher... I bought it a just over a year ago with all the polisher chemicals.

Think that stuff is still ok to use or should I replace? Been sitting in CA garage the whole time :/