Customer Service 866.965.0400

Issue With Tire Shine

zw470

Question

Having an issue With Tire Shine. Here's my process...

1. Spray with APC and scrub with a good stuff brush

2. Rinse

3. Wash/rinse again with car shampoo at the end of the car wash

4. Apply Tire Shine with the hex applicator

5. Once all 4 are done I move the car a bit so I can hit the bottom spot that was against the pavement

6. Wait a few minutes then wipe them with a microfiber to even out the finish

When I'm done with that, they look wonderful. Rich and black and shiny but not too shiny. This is what they look like 24h later....

5338D369-8A63-45E3-810F-36837FCAD9B9_zps

As you can see, there's no Tire Shine left on the flat parts of the sidewall, just inside and around the lettering. There's no evidence on the car of it slinging off. Any suggestions?

Edited by zw470

20 answers to this question

Looks like either the tires are dry or that the tire shine in those little grooves is staying pooled then seeping out.

A coat of VRT should help hydrate the rubber if they are dehydrated.  Or if the Tire Shine is pooling up in the grooves, buy a small paint brush with fine bristles to help brush the excess out so that when you level it off there is no seeping out later.  I personally use the foam block applicator to level the tire shine because it doesn't really pick up the tire shine from the tire, just redistributes it basically.

Like Chris said, try skipping the wipedown and see what the results are.

Hey marty i would (like chris said) definentely skip step 6. Wiping with a microfiber towel to even out the finish will just take some of the tire shine off. The microfiber will soak up the tire shine. I use the  tire dressing super block applicator to even out the tire shine. Works great. This is what my tires look like 3 days after applying!

post-14115-0-98599400-1461017285_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChevyBoy92

I agree, skip 6, if you want a little less gloss use the applicator not a towel to nock it down. 

Also the first time I did my trucks tires with it, they soaked it up like no tomorrow. I let it be and I actually took the time to really wash the tires again the next week when I cleaned the truck and they did not absorb nearly as much. I put on a light coat and let it soak in all day. The next morning I hit them again and Shine was achieved. All that to say, they may just be thirsty for a little dressing. 

I'm with everyone else.

Skip Step 6.

Also the tires are probably dry especially after hitting them with full strength APC, so they will just soak up the Tire Shine. If this happens then reapply it until it 1-2 more times.

I applied Tire Shine last Friday night and it's still shiny today, even after driving 150 miles (mainly down some dusty country roads).

CBD94D20-82B8-4739-BB71-5B42B97880AF.jpg

My reasoning for wiping it with the microfiber wasn't to reduce shine (I switched from SVRT to get more shine), but to even out the application and eliminate some streaking.  I think it's just about perfect, like I said rich and black with some shine but it doesn't look or feel greasy. 

My reasoning for wiping it with the microfiber wasn't to reduce shine (I switched from SVRT to get more shine), but to even out the application and eliminate some streaking.  I think it's just about perfect, like I said rich and black with some shine but it doesn't look or feel greasy. 

Right.  To level the product, definitely invest in either of the products shown below.  I personally use the block because it seems to do a better job getting into the details on my shoulder lugs and can also be used for VRT for trim/plastics with better precision.  either of these will help level the product for a uniform finish without absorbing much product or drying it.

post-13798-0-00996300-1461155147.png

ADAM'S PRO TIRE HEX GRIP APPLICATOR

post-13798-0-57891300-1461155150.png

ADAM'S VRT SUPER BLOCK TIRE DRESSING APPLICATOR

Edited by James__

I use the hex-grip applicator, but even then I still get a little streaking on the smooth sections of sidewall.  So my thinking was I'd just hit it quick with the microfiber to even it out.  Obviously this was unnecessary as the product levels itself out nicely if you just let it LOL.

Forgot to get a pic this afternoon, but omitting step 6 seems to have done the trick. The tires look wonderful, thanks for your suggestions!

That's awesome. I love this new tire shine. Glad it turned out well for you.