Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pad Failure on Rupes Mk2 Polisher

snapier

Question

Hey gang!

Long time amateur detailer and just started using all Adam's products about 2 years ago. I recently bought the new Rupes Mark II polisher with the pad kit. I've used many polishers in the past but have just used the Cyclo for the last year or so. Anyway, I did my first detail job Sunday with the Rupes and about halfway through, the microfiber pad "blew out". The center section collapsed and there was no support left in the pad. I've never had this happen before and I'm wondering if this is common or if I did something wrong? Could the heat from the machine cause this to happen? I should clarify that while I'm an amateur I've done this type of job 15-20 times in the last year (with other machines) and never seen anything like this. I started with orange microfiber, then orange foam and then my son followed behind me with the Cyclo doing the white foam pad. After that I used the grey pad for the paint sealant. Obviously the machine did get a lot of run time.

Any advice would be great! I sure don't want to rip through pads on every job!

I had the opportunity to read many of the posts concerning the pads, speed, and pressure when using the MK2.

Very informative for me since I was transitioning from a PC to the Rupes LHR MK2. I have done 5 cars with my MK2 and have had no issues. I'm running it mostly at 3-4 and sometimes 5 when needed. I'm using Adams orange and white Gen 6 pads and have not used a microfiber pad yet.

The one thing I did check before using the MK2, was for adequate (dielectric) grease under the lip of the anti-spin shroud - and there was. Does anyone know if this is recommended preventive maintenance? I'll probably do it on a periodic basis because everyone has me paranoid now.

Mike

I had the opportunity to read many of the posts concerning the pads, speed, and pressure when using the MK2.

Very informative for me since I was transitioning from a PC to the Rupes LHR MK2. I have done 5 cars with my MK2 and have had no issues. I'm running it mostly at 3-4 and sometimes 5 when needed. I'm using Adams orange and white Gen 6 pads and have not used a microfiber pad yet.

The one thing I did check before using the MK2, was for adequate (dielectric) grease under the lip of the anti-spin shroud - and there was. Does anyone know if this is recommended preventive maintenance? I'll probably do it on a periodic basis because everyone has me paranoid now.

Mike

It is good upkeep to check the shroud to make sure it has lube present. Like anything else after all the circles and heat build up it will need some more eventually. Preventive maintence is the key to all motorized machines imo