Customer Service 866.965.0400

Burnt rubber removal

noquarter

Question

Hey all,

I have a Hellcat that I use various adams products on including sealant.  My car is only driven in the summer and it serves double duty for car shows and drag racing.

I actually drag race it at the track almost weekly.   Here is the problem/question.

I use something called burn guard on the rear fender and wheel wells and it is supposed to stop rubber from sticking to the paint.  It does an ok job but not perfect.  Even with paint sealent and burn guard the rubber and (VMT - track prep juice) coats my rear quarter and plastic well well guards.  

Nothing takes it off except wd-40 (which I also assume removes any wax and paint sealant there as well.)   Has anyone dealt with this and have a better solution?  Seriously, the tire rubber and vmt will not budge using any other method.  And if you try something else it just smears the rubber in even worst.

Also, I am starting to see nicks in the paint from this.   Is there any product I can use to help negate the rubber and or protect better?

Also, I wash the car after every race and it is well maintained body paint wise.

Thanks,

Noq

Edited by noquarter

7 answers to this question

To fix the chipping paint - Get it re-sprayed and wrapped in Xpel Ultimate.

However, then you'll be cleaning the burnt rubber off the Xpel with WD40 instead of off the paint - which is ok.  If you didn't chip the paint up so bad I'd say use a couple coats of a ceramic coating on those areas/panels, or the whole car perhaps.

Stoner's Tarminator also is a good product for removing tar and is paint safe - however yes you will need to reapply protection to those areas.

Wrap the rear quarters and lower edges of the doors in painters tape before the track perhaps?  Then you can just peel off when done.

To fix the chipping paint - Get it re-sprayed and wrapped in Xpel Ultimate.

However, then you'll be cleaning the burnt rubber off the Xpel with WD40 instead of off the paint - which is ok.  If you didn't chip the paint up so bad I'd say use a couple coats of a ceramic coating on those areas/panels, or the whole car perhaps.

Stoner's Tarminator also is a good product for removing tar and is paint safe - however yes you will need to reapply protection to those areas.

Wrap the rear quarters and lower edges of the doors in painters tape before the track perhaps?  Then you can just peel off when done.

This is the method I always used when I used to race.  While it's not the most attractive, it is a very effective means.

Thanks guys.  Yeah painters tape is an option but people seem to make fun of it.. (including track announcers lol).

I guess its worth getting ragged on though.

I was thinking about using clear contact paper maybe.

You might also try clear plastidip. If you tape it off to give it a hard edge, it is very easy to peel off and will provide a good, transparent later to protect the paint.

Thanks guys.  Yeah painters tape is an option but people seem to make fun of it.. (including track announcers lol).

I guess its worth getting ragged on though.

I was thinking about using clear contact paper maybe.

Maybe the track annoucers should keep their pie holes shut as you put rubber in their faces lol.  Who cares.  Its not a free solution and takes a bit of time, but definitely the easiest and most cost effective I think.

You might also try clear plastidip. If you tape it off to give it a hard edge, it is very easy to peel off and will provide a good, transparent later to protect the paint.

I use clear plastidip on my Camaro when I road race it. Just spray it on thick and it will pull off easy.